As a DUB, what did you do and hid so as not to stumble anyone?

by megsmomma 23 Replies latest jw friends

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I was thinking of all the "concious matters" that you could do if you wanted, but would not tell anyone so you wouldn't get in "trouble". One thing that came to my mind is when after having my baby, I wanted to join Weight Watchers...there were two meeting places to choose from...One close to me and in a church....and one quite far not in a church. Well, I went to the one in the church, always worried someone would see me(but I didn't REALLY think it was a big deal) So, what did you all hide?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I do not think that attending Weightwatchers in a church building ought to have caused a problem . The WT organized tours of cathedrals on its foreign travel trips to Conventions. I had a Bro. once ask me if it was ok to attend a training course that was held in a Quakers meeting hall , I told him to go right ahead.

My "Secret sin" was heavy rock music. Not the nastier stuff that has come out but classic bands like Deep Purple, Led Zep , AC/DC and the like. I made no secret to those who knew me well, but it would not have been "the thing" for an elder to be seen to be into that music. I once had to connive a family visit to a distant aunt in order to avoid conducting a WT study that condemned it.

Silly, isn't all this ? When normal human harmless things are made into a big deal so that responsible adults have to worry about them . We were really victims.......

• skyking
    skyking

I started to go to the meeting minutes before they started. Dropped my hours and soon did not go out and only reported one hour a month. Then skipped months. It was very well planned. Then when the NGO deal hit and the Elders gave me a Judicial meeting I quit going after that. I told them I was stumbled and all the above worked. I am out and did not get DF'd going out.

• serendipity
    serendipity

I was overly concerned with not wanting to stumble or hurt others.

I spent my teen years in a rather poor cong. After I graduated from college and got a job, I bought a sports car. When I went home to visit, I would ride to the KH with mom or my aunt rather than drive the sports car. I didn't want to flaunt my relative "wealth". I also dressed down, rather than wear my 'career' uniform.

In general with JWs, I didn't talk much at all about my career, career achievements or business-related books and mags that I read, since I didn't want to glorify the career and perhaps deter others from pioneering.

I didn't talk about much of what I read, because it was 'worldly' wisdom.

I was very discreet about my interests and goals. That stuff should be conscience matters, but I knew others would be stumbled.

After my 'ex' and I split, when he visited, he would stay with us (in a separate room). I had to hide those visits too, but I guess that was really to keep myself out of trouble.

• vitty
    vitty

I made my kids hide the x-files dvds and told my son not to say what he played on his play station !

I think I was pretty liberal, I let my daughter have posters up in her room, and she played with kids in the street,had sleep overs with school friends But if you ask them I was a mad woman!

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

...still hiding the fact that I do not believe in 1914, that the FDS has been appointed, women can't lead in worship, education is bad...sigh...oh, let's not forget one of the main points in next weeks Watchtower study article...MEN are supposed to plan wedding receptions as part of the headship arrangement.

Justitia

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I was advised to get rid of my Doors and Led Zep cds as, according to the elders, they were inapprpriate music for christians. They condemned a few of my other cds as well, like Grateful Dead and Canned Heat. I moved them out of my main collection and put them in a cupboard. I still have them all today.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I didn't tell anyone what me and an elder's wife did.

• unbeliever
    unbeliever
    I didn't tell anyone what me and an elder's wife did.

Which was?

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Oh, well then! Mom and I bought Harlequin paperbacks and hid them to read when Dad fell asleep, but I never did anything with an elder's wife! Haha.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit