Islam bashed by Witnesses

by Fleshybirdfodder 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

I was listening to talk radio the other day and they were discussing the Muslims who were taken off an American Airlines flight (I believe that was the airline) because they were praying publicly prior to the flight. One of the individuals, an Imam, who was on the flight was being interviewed and in the defense of what he called "moderate Islam" proclaimed there is a movement against Islam, and specifically mentioned Jehovah's Witnesses handing out a flyer where they directly misquote the Koran to implicate all Muslims in 9/11. Is this in the new "The End of False Religion is Near" tract? Have the Witnesses inadvertently opened a can of worms and found themselves in some real hot water? They've been slamming other religions for so long with relative impunity, but I think this time they've touched on a hot topic, very ill-informed (or sloppily researched as usual) and I'm not sure if this will be brushed aside by those who need the PR (specifically the Muslim community). Anyone heard anything about this?

FBF

• blondie
    blondie

Does anyone have the quote from the tract handy as well as what the Koran "really" says?

Blondie

• vitty
    vitty

I really hope they háve misquoted, as this is something they do regularly, but with no consequences. They have laws in the UK about inciting religious hate, I really, really hope this backfire on them and they get into REAL trouble cos its about time

• Clam
    Clam

Here's a scan of the tract from a previous thread. Can't see any Koran quote myself.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/122327/1.ashx

• Clam
    Clam

Deleted due to duplication.

• bernadette
    bernadette

It may be to do with the quote from Asiaweek in the tract. There may be a ref in the Asiaweek article to the Koran. If that's the case maybe this is a lesson for the wts to stop making out of context quotes from other sources!

If I'm not mistaken the only JW tract that directly quotes from the Koran is the 'Road to Paradise' one.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I don't think they intentionally bashed Islam as they do Christendom; they are looking for converts, and most of their overt references to Islam are geared towards Muslims. They however could have easily misrepresented the religion or the Quran. The How Can You Find the Road to Paradise (1990) tract has a striking example where it quotes the Quran to prove that there will be a Paradise Earth (p. 1). The Mankind's Search For God book has a lengthy discussion of Islam (mostly pretty basic stuff) in ch. 12, but ends up rejecting it as a "false religion" by implication (ch. 16).

I don't know of any reference to 9/11 that blames Islam or implicates the religion. The speculation that Islam is the new "King of the North" does not appear in the publications as far as I know.

• bernadette
    bernadette

found the article the asiaweek quote came from - its at asiaweek.com webfiles: war in the name of faith 11/14/01

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

It may well be the tract that is directed at Muslims, I live in Toronto which is extremely multi-cultural, so I can see them doing a campaign specifically targeting the Islamic community. He specifically mentioned a misquote that not necessarily implicated all Muslims, but pointed directly at the Koran as the reason for the attacks. I'll keep my ears open. He's been interviewed a number of times. I'll see if there are any audio clips at the station's website. Thanks for the help.

• Alpheta
    Alpheta

I think this Iman was mistaken, but JWs are a convenient target. I'm no apologist, but when one religion is wearing a target on its collective back (Muslims) it doesn't take a genius to see that they'll try the old switcheroo to some other even less understood target (JWs) in the eyes of the U.S. public. This is just applying the principles they've learned from dirty American politics. In this incident, I think the JWs are innocent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit