Laptop Advice

by Mysterious 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you that have laptops. I know what I need primarily in terms of system specs so I am more interested in feedback regarding brands. If you have a laptop I would be interested to know the brand, whether you bought it new or used, how long the warranty was, if you had any issues with it during or after the warranty (and whether these resulted in you having to take it in or send it away for repairs), if you would buy it again, if you recommend the brand on the whole.

I am currently leaning towards Toshiba having met a few people that had bad experiences with Dell. Maybe it was just an awful scanner I had but Acer always leaves a bad taste in my mouth to think about as well. I haven't heard much about HP but I wasn't fond of some of the hard drive partitioning that Compaq is fond of putting on systems.

Thanks! Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publicly or fear the story will help identify you.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Brand: Acer
    New/Used: Used
    Warranty: None
    Price: $20
    Speed: 386 SX25
    Hard Drive: 80M
    RAM: 4M

When I bought this thing, the hard drive was nearly shot. I recently replaced it with a slick, used 325M hard drive for $0, and it's running Win95. I think I got a good deal!

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Looking for a laptop huh? Well, my suggestion is to do some research at http://www.newegg.com. They have some great deals. You are able to view a lot of different models side by side to make sure you're getting a great deal. I recently bought an Acer from there and I love it. I had a Dell before that and while I did get a good year and a half out of it, I had a lot of over heating problems and it wasn't much of a value.

I paid less than $700 American for this laptop and that was with two gig of RAM and a carrying case. I have very few complaints about my acer and the ones I have are fairly minor. The worst being that the on/off button for wireless is in the front and thus I bump it off from time to time when I have my laptop on my lap.

• moshe
    moshe

Ok --not to trash Toshiba, but some of the low end models have problems. My m35x lost a power jack- common, from heat- and thenit went dead right after the warranty. they fixed it under an extension. I just got a letetr from legal firm about a settlement from Toshiba-- it seems that 4 different models of Toshiba's had faulty static electric shielding. You touch the keyboard and -zap- the screen goes dead. My friend just got his 2 month old duo-core Toshiba back from warranty repairs. His cat was sitting on some papers that were on his keyboard. he pulled the papers out from unders the cat's butt- and zap, the laptop goes dead. So I guess they still haven't fixed the static electricty problem.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

whatever brand you get.... just make sure that it has an "Intel" processor, not some off brand processor....

Mine is a, HP Pavilion dv5000, with an Intel Centrino Duo processor... bought it new... Love it

as a side note, i'm also accessing the web, with a Verision wireless modem... internet, anywhere anytime... That rocks too!

, Mike

• TheBundo
    TheBundo

I've had many brands, including Sony Viao's, Toshiba's, and Apples. Apple isn't compatible enough with internet stuff, do skip that unless you want to heavy in-house video or audio. But get something with Firewire (the Apple name, but available on PC's). Sony & Toshiba both have models with it built in. Stay away fro Dell, HP, and Compaq.

Just my opinion, having had over a dozen laptops

• TheBundo
    TheBundo

By the way, why would anyone be afraid of being identified? Seems to be a mental problem around here, kind of like an animal who is "tree'd"). What gives?

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

TheBundo,
    Some people are worried about losing their families by being found out and DF'd, others are worried they will ruin their only chance to talk to friends before the apostate screen comes down. Then there are minors living with their parents that have little choice right now. Personally it is at the request of my father who does not wish to be identified that I am careful on the board.

I should also mention I am anti Apple/Mac. Not because I don't think they make a good product, but because I quite like all the compatible software I currently own for PC.

OpenFireGlass
    I agree there are some bad off brand processors, however, I don't know that I would consider Intel the be all end all of computing. Or at least I had not found that with desktopcs.

Moshe
    I hadn't heard about the static issues thanks for the feedback. Do you know more specifically which models or how long ago they were produced?

Abandoned
    Ah newegg I should have thought to go there but for some reason it didn't pop into mind thanks for reminding me.

Nosferatu
    Indeed that is an excellent deal! Reminds me of an old boat anchor laptop that dad brought home once to play with. Man was that sucker heavy.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I sent you a long PM.

Kwin

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ooooh, you're asking for computer advise

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit