Self-rightous witnesses? no......

by mariposa 16 Replies latest jw friends

• mariposa
    mariposa

I was thinking about how I left "the truth" yesterday and got to wondering about the couple of sisters who were directly involved in the beginning of the end for me. I know it was because of things they personally did to me that led me to believe witnesses were not "a lovable brotherhood". And I know, THEY know of the things they did as well.

So here's the thing, I bet they don't feel the least bit guilty or even bad about it. Because I left Jehovah because I was lacking in faith, or didn't have enough roots growing into that damn craggy rock. It had absolutly NOTHING to do with the words they wrote me, the lies they told or even the people they turned against me. Even though we were....*gasp*....f-a-m-i-l-y. I mean, yeah I had issues, but I didn't deserve to be treated like an evil red-headed step child. (Even though yes, I do have red hair)

Do all witnesses have this same self-rightous attitude where nothing is there fault? It's got to be the other person and most especially the other person if they aren't a regular attendee at meetings. This just all of a sudden hit me yesterday. Has this happened to you guys?

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW

My MIL who is currently 73, is one of 6 siblings who were raised and remain JW's. Between them, they have raised 17 children as JW's including my wife. Of the 17 kids only one remains an active JW and she is on her way out. What does my MIL have to say about this phenomenon? It is all the kids fault.

She was pretty insulted when after shunning my wife, I told her that the religion of her youth had failed her as a mother.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I definitely see this with my family and old "friends". They have been taught to be that way though.......Everyone is below you if they are not making their lives misearble like you are to "please Jehoover"

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

They are religious bigots

• Backed away
    Backed away

Good Morning Mariposa,

No your not alone in how you feel. I have experienced the JW wrath of, if your not "with me your against me" and most has been felt by my family. I have been excluded from nieces (who I practically raised) weddings I'm sure for how it may "LOOK" to have a inactive family member there. I've had once dear friends only come by while "counting time" to say hello.

My Mother of all people once told me " you shouldn't join something if your not going to adhere to it's rules" to which I replied " so.. if I was part of the Hitler youth or a extremist group and decided to leave I shouldn't just because I was once a member? all I got in reply was that familiar "look" of you poor misguided soul.

I'm convinced JW's obstaining from blood also refers to non witness family members (blood)

Inside you are still the same person, just be yourself , I still call my Sisters and Mother regularly to say hello and offer my help if they need it. don't change, it really confuses them.

John

• Confession
    Confession

So here's the thing, I bet they don't feel the least bit guilty or even bad about it. Because I left Jehovah because I was lacking in faith, or didn't have enough roots growing into that damn craggy rock. It had absolutly NOTHING to do with the words they wrote me, the lies they told or even the people they turned against me. Even though we were....*gasp*....f-a-m-i-l-y. I mean, yeah I had issues, but I didn't deserve to be treated like an evil red-headed step child. (Even though yes, I do have red hair)

Do all witnesses have this same self-rightous attitude where nothing is there fault? It's got to be the other person and most especially the other person if they aren't a regular attendee at meetings. This just all of a sudden hit me yesterday. Has this happened to you guys?

Interesting, isn't it? The JWs do actually spend quite a bit of time warning the flock not to "stumble" others. With a grave tone, a brother from the stage will relate the scipture about how "it would be better" if a millstone were hung around your neck and you were pitched into the sea than to stumble a "little one." But when someone is so stumbled, they are quite quick to shift all blame to the stumbl-ee, while the stumbl-er (if addressed at all) is consoled that "it was only a matter of time" before the stumbl--ee's true colors showed themselves.

The bottom line is that the stumbl-er is still "in the organization," and the stumbl-ee has left. And above all other things, (righteousness, kindness, humility, love,) ultimate importance is assigned to allegiance to the organization. Stumbling and millstones be damned.

• Warlock
    Warlock

What I have experienced is those that have this self-rightous attitude could not care less about the havoc they have caused in the lives of others.

I will tell you truthfully, I would rather be me, as I am now, than them, on "Judgement Day".

I do not say this arrogantly, but honestly.

Warlock

• mariposa
    mariposa

Confession & Warlock- so true, so true...

The lady I had studied with, anointed that she was, always told me to let no one stumble me, least of all her. Of course she was the one to inflict the most damage and then when I tried to pick up the pieces elsewhere she practically ignored my existence. Man, this just seems to get clearer and clearer the more I think about this. The last time I saw her in front of alot of other witnesses, she was all lovey dovey like nothing had happened, sounds like a show to me.

For sooooooo long, I thought it was me. I figured I could start over in another cong. and everything would be great. HA! Things get around and the new elders knew somewhat of the problems. But they thought it was me too, didn't even WANT to hear my side of anything. That's when I faded away.

Must be nice to get away with kicking people to the curb and blaming it on the one laying in the street, battered and bloodied with their hand out asking for your help. Unbelieveable....

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

The thing that happens though, after you get kicked to the curb and are bleeding and hurt is you see some "wicked apostates" that come over and pick you up and hear you with compassion....then the "kickers" keep on kicking eachother and going through the abuse. And you can smile knowing that it is never going to happen to you again!

• dedpoet
    dedpoet
    Do all witnesses have this same self-rightous attitude where nothing is there fault?

Most of the ones I've known do. I probably was a bit self - righteous myself when I was a jw. If someone leaves, it's because they don't want to meet the watchtower jehovahs righteous standards, no matter that the person might have been hounded by the elders for months due to false accusations levelled against them. According to the jws, such people were obviously "not of our sort", and "not rightly disposed for everlasting life", so they left. It's never the jws fault.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit