I am now a R.V! Help me with questions to ask please

by awol 24 Replies latest jw friends

• awol
    awol

2 lovely ladies knocked today. I wasn't offered the new tract, but after they asked me about the state of the world and how I felt about god etc, I asked them in. (I fell away 10 plus yrs ago and was baptised. I didn't tell them that tho) I want to go through some things with them. It's hard to act like you know nothing about the teachings.

They think I am really interested. But after finding this site I do want questions answered and to see if they will answer them.

They placed "what does the bible really teach? book and all suffering soon to end tract. I am supposed to read though and they will come back and answer my questions next week.

I asked them if they had researched ALL religions before they settled with this one they said emphatically "yes, we have and we study all religions within our studies". I said that must of taken you some years to do!! they smiled and said yes! I looked blank.

I asked why god didn't scrap mankind after they sinned initially and start again. They said that we have free will to do as we like, and are to follow god because we want to - i.e. he didn't want robots. They said the end of the system will come and the meek will inherit the earth etc. I said that's great - so I will be okay then. They smiled and said that those seeking out the true religion and following it will. So, I asked how are we to know the true religion - as everyone following one believes this. They will discuss further with me!?. I did say I feel I am okay there then as I am seeking for the true religion but haven't found it yet. I said what of the "bad" people on the earth then? they said they will be destroyed. I said that sound great. How? When? They said it would be soon. They pointed to a scripture about the signs of the times and about the generation seeing all these things happening and then the end coming. So I asked what generation. They said this one. I said so from what date.... they said 1914 - when jesus came to his throne. Okay, I asked what a generation is to them (I offered 100 yrs) they said the bible says 80 yrs. So, I said ..... so that means 80 plus 14 = 1994..... they said well the end is very soon! I said, so is it a generation or not? they just said it is soon. kind of brushed it off!

I said I would rather be living now that 100yrs ago. They said things are far worse. older people will tell me that. They said "In the world war people could leave their doors open and not worry about being burgled" I said its a shame they had to worry about being bombed though!! I said there have been wars etc forever.... and it is no different. You live, you die, so does everything around us. It seems the natural organisation of life. They said about the end of the system and the meek inheriting the earth... I asked why would god do the same thing over again, if it didn't work the first time round? They said people will die if they don't do as they are told this time! I said why not just do that now.... why drag it out? They just nodded and said good question! I also said that I thought god didn't want people worshiping him out of fear but because they want to.

Oh so many questions to ask them.... I don't want this to turn into a long haul study starting from scratch, but I do want things answering. Where do I start? You knowledgeable ones give me some questions that should most definately get them thinking more deeply about the hypocracy of this religion. Rather than them help me.... maybe I can reverse this on them!

xx

• awol
    awol

Also asked them if their religion was old or new... do they know how long it has been around etc. They said YES, it was the first religion since adam and eve! ? Really! I again didn't know what to say.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

"Captives of a Concept", a book (less than $20) by Don Cameron, says that one who is considering a Bible study with Jehovah’s Witnesses should "...ask for a history study first in order to find out if this is in fact the organization that Jesus appointed to teach the Bible to the rest of mankind." He suggests, "... those who do a history study first don’t ask for a Bible Study later."
    The history book? Their own "Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom", The Book of Watchtower History. How can the conductor argue against it?
    Don doesn’t feel the book is as candid about their history as it should be, but that there’s plenty of embarrasing ammunition for the critic within its pages.
    Fats

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Hi awol,

You could have some interesting times ahead of you! I haven't seen the bible teach book, nor would I want to, but I imagine it's likeall the other indoctrination manuals they've used over the years. One question I'd love to ask is their teaching on the 144,000 only going to heaven. Sure, they can show you a scripture in Revelation to back that theory up, in their bible anyway, but if that were true, it's inconceivable that there would still be any, let alone so many,places left by the beginning of the last century, yet so many jws have claimed to be of that "class".

Here's a link to the Quotes website, you might find some useful examples of doctrinal flip flops there, including the change in their "generation" teaching. Good luck!

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/home.html

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

The quality of WT dishonesty has always been my favorite. That way there's no argument as to interpretation. You don't even need to crack open a Bible.

"...really, would you want to be even associated with a religion that had not been
    honest with you?" Is This Life All There Is?,1974, page 46.

While there are many examples of dishonesty in their own words (attempts to coverup certain things) my favorite is the 1925 debacle. The beauty of this, for argument sake, is they can't say it's old news since they, themselves, resurrected and rejuvinated this coverup in the 1975 yearbook, some 50 years later. For more details, check out this Dear Mother letter (a letter to the Governing Body).

http://users.oeccwildblue.com/millerlr/DearMother.pdf

Fats

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

That sounds like something I would do....Then say to myself....OMG, What have I done??? So, anyways ...what I would do is print up some things like the false prophesies, and UN, and flip flops, and silent lambs........Tell them you looked up some info on them and found these things and was wondering if they knew about them. It will probably make them never come back, but could also plant a little seed to help them look for themselves. Keep us posted!!

• nelly136
    nelly136
    They said things are far worse. older people will tell me that. They said "In the world war people could leave their doors open and not worry about being burgled" I said its a shame they had to worry about being bombed though!!

thankyou for the laugh, alas i gather that one went right over their heads.

dont know if you could get hold of one of steven hassans books at the library where you are, theyre sposed to be pretty good for talking to people who are 'under the influence'

• awol
    awol

megsmomma - yeah, I was thinking maybe that is a good idea too. Cut to the chase. Say, I read your booklet and then went on the internet for some help with a few questions. It'll put a stop to all the "lets start from the beginning" crap that I don't want!!!!

I am reading the other bits you guys have pointed me to too! thanx x

• awol
    awol

hey nelly - it's funny being on the other side! I asked these questions and their response is a smile, a nod and that is a good question / comment! I look blank and frown, waiting, and then well.... not a lot.

I want to get them to tell me HOW much research they do before committing and why make such a commitment... why not just be a great person and believe in your own thoughts.

Someone tell me how to get them to tell me about the history. All they said was: we are the oldest religion and have been around since adam and eve!!! ..... oh right.... and .............

that is it. what do I say to that?

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

awol:
    Someone tell me how to get them to tell me about the history. All they said was: we are the oldest religion and have been around since adam and eve!!! ..... oh right.... and .............

that is it. what do I say to that?

Please refer to my first post and Cameron's suggestion: ask for a history study first

Fats

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit