Do JW's stay In the Organization to avoid embarassment?

by moshe 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moshe
    moshe

I just read this behavior study- called the Asch study. It seems to explain why JW's agree with obviously false WT teachings and ignore warnings inside the Organization. It is all to avoid embarassment from peers, friends and family. The individual wants to agree with the group consensus so badly , that they will change their minds to agree with the group. So it appears, that JW's who have doubts about the teachings of the WT Society do not quit the KH so as not to look stupid in front of their friends and family at the KH. The trick is to not be the only one to disagree in the group- IF you see someone else disagree, then the individual is more likely to give an honest answer- the one their own eyes see. This explains why the Elders act so quickly to silence and DF anyone who disagrees with the WT dogma. This is a very interesting study, that seems to show that rather that arguing Bible doctrines/scriptures with JW's , we need to work on showing how silly they are as group and that they are dishonest about their own personal opinions.

Has anyone sat in a KH meeting and disagreed with something, but was not brave enough to disagree with the Elders? Did you ever think that you must be the only one who couldn't figure out the anti-type, new light, chronology, etc. ? I know I did!!

see study here- http://www.cultsock.ndirect.co.uk/MUHome/cshtml/socinf/conform.html

• sosad
    sosad

not to mention the humiliation of telling their 'worldly" families that they were wrong. my mom, in an unusual moment of truth once commented to me that she could never leave, even if she found the truth was wrong - how could she ever face her family that are not jw's.....but she somehow does not think of her non jw kids

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

funny this thread came up...that is the only reason my mom is staying. She agrees its hypocritical and all but stays to avoid embarassment.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

I think more than avoiding embarrassment is the fact that upon leaving the organization an individual loses his family and friends. Another factor is many JWs have already given up one religion to become a JW. It's very hard for people to admit to another mistake even to themselves.

There were always certain teachings I found difficult to accept. For example, I could never believe in the Watchtower's teaching on the "gentile times." There was no indication that the prophecy in Daniel that it related to end times. There were no specific quotations of it in the Greek Scriptures. It was purely Watchtower interpretation borrowed from other sources. But like most JWs, I felt the fault was mine in not understanding. Therefore, I was willing to wait until further information about it would appear in the Watchtower literature. It never came!

One should appreciate that if the organization does not have "the truth" then staying in it is an insult to God and to one's self.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I always say it is family for the reason I stop in - but perhaps deep down it is embarrassment. I am ashamed that I am an intelligent person but have been duped all these years

• moshe
    moshe

Once I left the WT and admitted to everyone I knew who was not a JW my -family, friends, work associates, etc., that I had quit JW's- seen the light and left that sorry excuse for a religion, well NOBODY laughed at me or made me feel stupid. They were all glad to have the old Mosh' back and see the return of a human being. It was one big group hug from everyone on the outside of the KH for me. Praise God.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I remember many years ago an elder explained to me how the WTS came up with the 1914 "prophecy." As he flipped from one scripture to another, back and forth through the Bible, I was thinking, "How does he know these scriptures are even related? And if they are related, why aren't they in sequential order? Wouldn't that make more sense?"

I remember thinking these things, but did I say anything? No. I was only 16, an age when embarrassment is the next worse thing to death.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

moshe, everyone was glad I got out [family who were not JWs] and they never laughed at me either. In fact I had to tell my nephew he was right about it being a cult. And I did think how embarassing it was going to be but left anyway leaving my immediate family behind.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Dang, that's quite an interesting take.

I have just always thought that they are terrified. Let's face it, folks, it HURTS to leave... there is a lot of adjusting to do! It sometimes takes years, which is why so many of us are here.

It's horrifying to believe you have based all of your actions... and beliefs... and associations... on a LIE. Especially when you have allowed a loved one to die while you were shunning them!!! Or allowed your own children to die because you refused their blood transfusion. Rather difficult to come to grips with those, I should imagine.

Baba.

edited to add: I agree with all of those who say that their non-JW families of course did NOT laugh at them. I know for a fact that my non-JW family was OVERJOYED that I got out! Of course, I was raised in it, so they were even more thrilled. If my Mother had ever left, they would have rejoiced non-stop.

Just a note to you readers out there... the pain will just continue if you don't make a stand and leave, and NO ONE will EVER laugh at you or mock your decision.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I was 56 years old when I had become disgusted enough to go on the Internet. I was curious about what really happened at Bethel about 1980 and I had been upset about the 1975 fiasco for a long time. For several years I reasoned that I had been in this religion since I was age 14 and that I couldn't give it up now. It would be too painful. Then it hit me that if I didn't do it now, I would never be able to do it when I got older. We have a friend who is 78 years old, he knows it is all a lie, but he can't quite bring himself to stop. He still attends meetings, goes out in service, and pretends to believe it. It is tearing him apart, but he can't stop because of fear of losing his children's affection.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit