Are they idiots??

by nonamegiven 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

once you believe something you don't question it anymore...simple as that.

• observador
    observador

I think there are several reason why seemingly intelligent people stay put as JWs. One of the reasons is power (also known as privilege among JWs).

I had a friend who seemed to be an intelligent man, but, has been a JW for almost 30 years. He was an elder when we were in close contact, and what I noticed about him is that he is very fond of the power that comes from being an elder.

He saw quite a few problems (such as the baptism of 10 year old children, for example) but he loved the adulation of having brothers and sisters coming to him for "spiritual counsel" and much else. Coming from a poor family and from a poor state in the country and rising to the top of local ranks gave him a sense of importance he wouldn't have anywhere else.

I also noticed another thing about smart JWs: They don't do all the things the Society prescribes! This friend above went to college and got a college degree (a lame one, but still a college degree).

I put off my college education for about 9 years after High School, but decided to go for it, despite all that talk against that we all know. Looking back, I think that was the beginning of my breakaway.

So, I think that sooner or later smart people will see through it and leave or stay because of other interests, not because they don't see it.

Observador.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Well, in a way I going to have to say yes.

While I was JW there was actually this kind of stupid arrogance about me, a pride that made me think I was on top of the world and knew everything. It was a foolish pride, something I think you have to have in order to remain JW.

I had this while I was in, and dopped it when I came out. Such foolish pride is somthing that I think makes you a good JW. But there is a way to get past it.

• exjdub
    exjdub
    If they don't have these doubts, are they just stupid?

I think that is why there is so much anger and denial when one finally does leave. When you get out of the mind control, get your brain back, and start your self examination...you feel like an idiot. You know you were duped and you wonder how it happened. I wasted 30 years (roughly...I am starting to forget, which is a good thing) in the Borg and still wonder how it happened. I was 5 years old when my Mom decided to study again, so I got a healthy dose of brainwashing for many years. Thankfully, I reflect on those years and pull the things out that were valuable to me and discard the rest.

I think that is why I am floored when I read of so many on the JWD board who still go to church and believe in the Christian belief system. I don't mean any disrespect, but I traded my brain out once, it ain't gonna happen again I can guarantee you. I will never trade out my reasoning ability for "faith" again. That doesn't mean that I have not looked into other schools of thought and other belief systems. I am still curious about how the rest of the world thinks and believes, which motivated me to read about Buddhism, Taoism, etc., but I will never suspend my critical thinking and reasoning ability to anyone ever again. And one has to suspend an awful lot of reasoning ability to belive that a man was swallowed by a fish and thrown up on the beach 3 days later...and survived!! Or that all mankind was plunged into pain and suffering because the first human couple ate of the forbidden fruit. Sorry...can't do it.

exjdub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit