Whilst

by becca1 16 Replies latest jw friends

• daystar
    daystar

LOL! It's one thing to wax poetically and use such words. I've used some where they fit and will continue to. But I do laugh when someone uses such words outside of that context. And I don't laugh demeaningly. I just laugh... because I enjoy seeing people try to manipulate perceptions of themselves.

How many times have you heard an American use "whilst" or "methinks" seriously in conversation, face to face? Or how about "milady, I dost require thine hand whilst I dost prance gaily through thine lily, methinks I dost"?

It's simply a humorous affectation, IMO.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

OMG Daystar- I just spilt coffee right into the keyboard via my lips! I think you would find a belly laugh at my home everday with all the wackos in my lil jungle. LMAO

It is funny and I give you that. But forgive me while I turn red and run for cover. I am so guilty of being a wingnut in the language out of content department. I cannot get a cliche right to save my life and creativly allow free use of past, present, future, and psycho in all aspects of writing and speech. Spastic? Yes. But, I guess that is just a duck of another color...

Thanks for the giggle. (And dirty monitor.) lol

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

daystar:

Also, "methinks", which is rather silly, IMO, as it's an archaic usage. (I then wonder why these same people never use the past tense, "methought".)

Young Tommy Sandys is breaking up what might be the western world's first LARP group, Scotland circa 1870:

"And you dinna have 'Methinks' now either," Tommy announced pitilessly.

Corp had dreaded this. "I'll be gey an' lonely without it," he said, with some dignity, "and it was the usefulest swear I kent o'. 'Methinks!' I used to roar at Mason Malcolm's collie, and the crittur came in ahint in a swite o' fear."

gently feral

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke
    "milady, I dost require thine hand whilst I dost prance gaily through thine lily, methinks I dost"?

Daystar, are you a poof?

Anyway, whilst I first thought this thread may have been a load of old cobblers, in actuality it has turned out simply lovely!

Cheers!

Pope

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Methinks, I flunked Language Arts whilst in High School because I be usin' too much ebonics. Ain't that it, my homies! My English be jacked-up!

• RAZORMIND55
    RAZORMIND55
    I thought is was the same as "while".

Yes, I know that "whilst" is synonymous with "while".

Why my great-grandmother used the word in her context, I do not know.

• Clam
    Clam

I'm not into elaborate nomenclature.

To what purpose would I employ a voluminous expression, when a more diminutive one will suffice?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit