Whilst

by becca1 16 Replies latest jw friends

• becca1
    becca1

I know this is silly, but I love it when people on here say "whilst". We never, ever say that in the US. Whenever I see that word in a post it makes me smile.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

And ending posts with "Cheers", ya gotta love that!

Dave

• RAZORMIND55
    RAZORMIND55

I am from the U.S. My great-grandma used to use "whilst."

For example, when she said, "T'aint whilst to leave yet!" she meant, "It ain't time for you to leave yet!"

She'd also say, "T'aint whilst to bile!", which meant, "It isn't (well, ain't) time for it to boil yet!"

This is in rural North Carolina, by the way.

She's about the only person I know who used it in regular conversation. Sometimes I use it when I'm writing.

• becca1
    becca1

I thought is was the same as "while".

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Words mean pretty much whatever the speaker means for them to mean, but I think you're right Becca.

From answers.com: conj. Whilst (Chiefly British) definition: While. [Middle English whilest, alteration of whiles, whiles.]

Dave

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Oh, I hear and read that a lot from the British people at my job (including my boss). Love it!

Another one I like is using the word "loo" for bathroom. Sounds much more proper.

'Cheers' is used all the time around here.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

::And ending posts with "Cheers", ya gotta love that!
    Yeah this one gets me everytime.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Cheers whilst you're gotten. ;)

• daystar
    daystar

I see a lot of that on here. I also see a lot of "ones" as in "young ones", which just about makes me spew, it is so JW-speak. Also, "methinks", which is rather silly, IMO, as it's an archaic usage. (I then wonder why these same people never use the past tense, "methought".)

"Whilst" and "while" are synonymous. Outside of a cultural norm as it may be in certain parts of the world, in the US it's also an archaic form.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Ok now Daystar~

I see a lot of that on here. I also see a lot of "ones" as in "young ones", which just about makes me spew, it is so JW-speak. Also, "methinks", which is rather silly, IMO, as it's an archaic usage. (I then wonder why these same people never use the past tense, "methought".)

"Whilst" and "while" are synonymous. Outside of a cultural norm as it may be in certain parts of the world, in the US it's also an archaic form.

Let me set myself up for an bumm chewing, but really...you read so much and are very well versed. Surely you know the poetic heart and with a gal like Willow...you must be hip to the archaic terms. She is such a free mind and one that such poetry of old and novels of detailed archaic writing are written for. So how can it crack you up? Maybe endearing to you, but surely you see the romantic side of using an archaic language? I would think that a poetic heart and soul scream out words in your head using the lost art of laguage and all that smarmy stuff.

Wilst is a most spectacular word and should be used more. Furthermore...I think that we all should get to dress pretty and have tea and cakes fed to us after we are indulged in a bath given to us by our harem. Come on... done't kill the dream. You can say it. Just say it..."wilst".

Felt good huh.

Now you and Willow just set back and let let the world pamper you in the most indulgent tidbits of the lost arts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit