To: JWs who are dating non-JWs. What are you thinking?

by Lady Lee 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

What are you doing?

We have a few UBM (unbelieving mates) here on JWD. New ones join up and post here hoping to find out what is going on, what are all these crazy rules? Why has my mate gone back to the WTS?.

JWs, regardless of their status often wind up dating and marrying non-JWs Why? Why do you do this? You break the rules by going oputside the cong. You marry these non-believers with a fantasy hope they will eventually become JWs. You justify going to the outside the JWs by saying there aren't enough JWs in your age bracket.

My mother married a non-JW. I have no idea what she was thinking but I'm so angry at how she has treated this man. He is a nice guy. Gives her everything she wants and then gets walked over by my mother and "her rules to keep and rules to break" attitude.

Early on in their marriage he bought her a beautiful bouquet of flowers for Mother's Day. She had a tantrum and tossed them in the garbage telling him he should know she can't celebrate holidays. She went on and on about this to every one trying to make him look like he was trying to persecute her and trap her into celebrating a holiday.

Then she would turn around and go to the Legion (veterans meeting place) with him. AND take a flask of alcohol with her to sip in the ladies room so no one knew how much she was drinking (appearances you know) She proudly told me about her little flask and thought she was doing the right thing.

She called me one day to tell me she had an affair withone one and wanted to report herself to the elders. I said I would support her but my elder husband made it clear if they DFed her I would not be allowed to talk to her any more. The JC put her on probation. Her husband forgave her and they stayed together.

A few years later she called me to tell me she was moving out of town. By this time I was DFed and out. But I could not believe she was leaving her husband and doing it immediately. She left him and then demanded that he sell the house and give her 1/2 for all the work she had done on it over the years. (Not that she had actualy done the work herself)

After several months he sold the house and moved with her to another province where he knew no one. Then she threw him out. Granted he was an alcoholic (but so was she). This man now had no home, was in a city where he knew no one and by doctor's orders could not live alone due to his health problems. So he moved 2 provinces away to be near his son who could help him. Then I heard that since his son lived out in the country he had moved into the nearest big city to be near a hospital.

Last Sunday I found out he has moved back in with my mother. I'm not sure what is going on. I thought they were divorced. But then again maybe they aren't.

The only reason I can think of why she would have him with her is that she wants his pension and I think there is a widow's pension if he dies while they are together.

She has made this man's life hell. I know he loves her although I'm not sure why. Even her JW sister is angry at her for what she has done to this man.

Years ago she told me she married him for the sex. They did wait until after they were married. But after the wedding she realized his alcoholism pretty much destroyed his ability to perform. - hence the affair

Why? Why do this to someone.

We regulary see people post here who are dating JWs. Invariably every X-JW here says "RUN. Don't marry them".

But they marry the JW and the battle begins. The JW asserts that their beliefs are more important then the UBM's. Married life MUST revolve around the JW rules withouyt consideration for whatever beliefs the UBM has.

If they start a family the battle ground gets larger, each parents fighting for their own beliefs and what the children will learn.

Yup I think the WTS actually has this one belief right. Marry within the Lord

• Will Power
    Will Power

Great post........I feel very sad when I hear stories like this. .............. I am even starting to think that there must be some subliminal messages to JWs to actually go out and lure & marry non-believers. Even to go as far as get yourself DF'd, find a worldly, get re-instated...... try and convert - just to keep peace in the house some do! This process might be more successful than door 2 door! ......... but instead of Marry only in the Lord (because this kind of marriage is not in the Lord) ........I think the more appropriate line is don't be unevenly yoked. WT slaves and free beings - Christian or otherwise - do not mix!

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

Wow....what a big mess your mom made in the name of the "truth". You make a good point though. It is cruel to marry someone "worldly" to turn around and try to change them or make their life h*ll. I hope the afterlife rewards him for his patience.

• dawgfan
    dawgfan

Great post Lady Lee. I only wish that I had the courage to seek and believe your advice 4 years ago.

• Jobees
    Jobees

I am sorry you have to deal with all that. Your mother doesn't sound very Christian.

On the flip side of this story, though, I was raised in a divided household. My mother was the JW and she treated my Dad like gold. They had a pretty good marriage and though she bugged him to study and get baptised, he never did and she still loved and respected him as her husband. 36 years later and their still going strong.

I, too, married an unbeliever and we're still together, 7 years now. For 2 of those years I went back and was reinstated, he had no problem with it. He was very supportive. I did leave again (long story) but, I think that if the two people involved in the relationship are truly meant for each other, they can make it work for them. IMHO anyway.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well, there's got to be SOME dynamics at work for the two groups to be attracted to each other.

On the JW side, well, you get someone without a huge package of hangups. And you get freedom of choice. My church was big on marrying within. Remember the schoolyard way of picking team members? Two captains took turns picking from the pool. Once they are down to the final three, you KNOW nobody wants you. I've been there, and I prayed like mad I wouldn't be the last. It's a terrible feeling. The same thing happens in a small community where singles only have each other to choose. I saw it happen in my church twice where pickin's got mighty slim. The remaining singles snapped up the best they could in short order. The result? A flurry of ill-advised matches. Talk about unequally yoked!

A JW would do better to cast a wider net.

On the non-JW side, I think the outwardly clean-cut cast of the JW or marginal JW is a big draw. They are clean, they smell nice, and their language is well-scrubbed to. There are scruples, even if they tend to go overboard.

Only later does the poor non-JW realize how messed up the JW is indoors.

• M.J.
    M.J.

I've found its pretty much hopeless to sway the person who comes here every week asking. "I'm in love with a JW. What do I do?"

Nothing you say seems to make a difference. They seem to have to learn the lesson themselves rather than learning from others.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I hope they keep coming back, even if they ignore our advice. They'll need us in the years to come.

• M.J.
    M.J.

True, jgnat, I don't want to discourage anyone from trying to advise someone asking for help. You never know how much you might help someone, even if it is just to show that you care enough to respond.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Jobee

I am sorry you have to deal with all that. Your mother doesn't sound very Christian.

well I've managed to distance myself from her. Life is much better this way

I really do hope people who are caught up in a relationship with a JW keep coming here. At least they will get some real insight into all the craziness.

And I agree - some manage to make it work. But I bet it would be so much easier without all teh religious crap

JG

Well, there's got to be SOME dynamics at work for the two groups to be attracted to each other

Well something I have seen repeatedly is that people who have been abused in some way are attracted to other people who have been abused. Dysfunction attracts dysfunction. You might not like the results but there is a familiarity to it that is comfortable in an odd sort of way for a lot of people

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit