News - Neanderthal DNA 99.5% Like Ours

by Satanus 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

Just recently, some scientists managed to sequence neanderthal dna. While this discovery is not totally explored at this point, the following data are quite solid.

Using different techniques, two teams of scientists separately sequenced large chunks of DNA extracted from the femur of a 38,000-year-old Neanderthal specimen found in a cave [image] 26 years ago in Croatia. One team sequenced more than one million base pairs and the other 65,000 pairs of the genome.

No evidence of interbreeding

In popular imagination, Neanderthals are often portrayed as prehistoric brutes who became outsmarted by a more advanced species, humans, emerging from Africa. But excavations and anatomical studies have shown Neanderthals used tools, wore jewelery, buried their dead, cared for their sick, and possibly sang or even spoke in much the same way that we do. Even more humbling, perhaps, their brains were slightly larger than ours.

The results from the new studies confirm the Neanderthal's humanity, and show that their genomes and ours are more than 99.5 percent identical, differing by only about 3 million bases.
    The findings also appear to refute speculations by some scientists that Neanderthals and humans interbred in more recent times. "We see no evidence of mixing 30,000 to 40,000 years ago in Europe," Rubin said. "We don't exclude it, but from the data that we have, we have no evidence that pages were ripped from one genome and put in the other."

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/061115_neanderthal_dna.html

No interbreading satisfies the wt defintion of different kinds. It strongly suggests that they were a different species from us cro magnons. This discovery is another pillar in support of the biological evolutionary process.

S

• Donnalilly
  • Satanus
  • stark
    stark
    ...But excavations and anatomical studies have shown Neanderthals used tools, wore jewelery, buried their dead, cared for their sick, and possibly sang or even spoke in much the same way that we do.
    The results from the new studies confirm the Neanderthal's humanity,...
    This discovery is another pillar in support of the biological evolutionary process.

So the Neanderthal evolved from a human into a human?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Stark,

That is not what is being said. The way I understand it is, that they are human and were able to interbred with humans, but is doesn't seem likely they did interbred. They probably were the first humans to populate europe latter followed by humans more genetically like us. While able to interbred with present day humans they didn't no doubt seperated by land and sea barriers, and possibly looks.

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev

Sorry don't see the big deal, chimps have about the same percentage as well!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think chimps have 98% and the gorrila 97%. 99.5% allows for interbreding.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

So what happened to Neanderthals? All I've ever seen is they became extinct as late as 24,000 years ago.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Jay,

There is the possiblity we wipe them out, or they went extinct some other way, but according to the dna it seems to appear they weren't assimilated into the rest of the human species.

IMO, judging from how humans tend to look down and feel superior towards those that look different even inside thier own species I wouldn't doubt it that we slaughtered the lasts ones, as we entered into thier territory.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Frankie, that's possible. I just wondered if there was any well rounded theories as to what happened to Neanderthal. I think like you there probably wasn't any mixing of the species. Perhaps it could be like a horse and zebra. They look similar, but if you try to breed them together, you get an animal that is steril and won't reproduce. Maybe that is what happened if there was a mixing between Neanderthal and what became us.

Another thought could be much like when Europeans discovered America. European diseases wiped out so much of the American tribes before they developed immunity. Maybe Neanderthal lacked the ability to adjust to a certain disease that killed them off.

But in the end, you are probably right. Knowing how we are willing to kill anything that looks different than us, our ancestors probably hunted down all of Neanderthal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit