creepy words to K Hall "hymn"

by truthsearcher 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• parakeet
    parakeet

I don't remember (thankfully) that particular JW song. It must have been introduced since I left the JWs. But speaking of creepy songs, there's one Christmas song that always gives me the creeps -- "Santa Claus is Coming To Town." Read the lyrics slowly in a sinister, threatening voice to see what I mean:

You'd better watch out.
    You'd better not cry.
    You'd better not pout.
    I'm TELLING you why.
    Santa Claus is coming to town.

He knows when you are sleeping.
    He knows when you're awake.
    He knows when you've been bad or good,
    So be good, for goodness' sake!

BBBBrrrrrrrrr! Substitute "Godfather" for "Santa Claus" and you've got a Mafia theme song.

• jgnat
    jgnat

No wonder, parakeet. That song was written by ADULTS. Adults who wanted to spoil the spirit of Christmas for children around the world no doubt. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! Check out the date of this number!

It was written by J. Fred Coots and Haven Gillespie, and was first sung on Eddie Cantor's radio show in November 1934.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus_is_Coming_to_Town

• parakeet
    parakeet

I didn't realize the song was that old, jgnat! Right out of the spank-that-child era. Back then, adults probably made good on their threats and put coal in misbehaving kids' stockings. Ah, the good old days -- NOT!

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

In keeping with the JW theme, what if people substituted the name of their CO or Judicial Committee instead of Santa Claus? From what I've read on line about the DFing procedure, this could be close to the truth...try it using that sinister voice as was suggested.

• NanaR
    NanaR

I played the piano for meetings, conventions, weddings, etc. for many years. The piano in our Kingdom Hall was given to the congregation by my grandmother.

Then the CDs came out and it was -- no more piano playing. Period. My uncle had to come get the piano to keep it in the family.

Anybody around long enough to remember the little green song book (before Kingdom Melodies)? A person could actually sing those songs; they had chords that allowed for 4 part harmony.

The very first Kingdom Melodies edition had chords as well. Then the new one came out and it was more background music than singing music -- I never did understand why they wanted people to sing to orchestra music.

A dear friend of mine who was a professional musician (she's dead now) told me, "I think the GB had one too many before they wrote some of those songs!" And she was a loyal witness, but some of the songs just don't make much sense either musically or lyrically.

I used to have the really old Bible Students hymm book (which even had Christmas carols in it). I don't know where it is now.

Even as a little girl I loved to play songs like "Rock of Ages", "Amazing Grace", and "Whispering Hope". In fact, my mother and her sisters would sing Whispering Hope in harmony while I played it. And they were all witnesses. My grandma played it and sang it to them when they were babies.

When I think about my grandmother and her love for people it's hard to believe that she was part of the same "organization" that we see today.

But I digress *hah*

Ruth aka NanaR

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Nana: I was reading in the "Proclaimers" history book (p. 241) that in 1966 "Music known to have originated with secular or false-religious sources was deleted." That would be those lovely 4 part harmony classic hymns that you used to enjoy. As a professional pianist and music director I would find it very difficult to be a part of an organization where I could not use my Jehovah-given talents to praise Him, and to help lead others in their worship...just because someone in NY decided everyone should sing to a CD instead. I am glad that you rescued the piano and hope that it is getting well-used by those who love to play.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit