What proof is there that the JWs were chosen by Jehovah to be His people?

by VM44 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hambeak
    hambeak

Because they tell you so and you must walk by faith not by sight. so forget the evidence just accept it as though Jesus came and gave you personal inspiration because his spirit anoints the GB to tell the faithful what they need to know. This sentence of mine makes no sense and neither do the dubs

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

They remained neutral in WWI (and all other wars), and politics. (except UN thingy)

• Anitar
    Anitar

What proof is there? It doesn't need proof.

Recall, if you can, the first law of metaphysics:

Nothing unreal exists.

Essentially, the watchtower is telling the truth because they say they are telling the truth.

It's every bit as real to them as this religion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_pink_unicorn

It probably has just about the same amount of legitimacy too.

Anitar

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

The only ones who adhere to GOD'S standards on beards, suits and ties, length of hair and skirts.

ROFL!!!! LMAO!!!

• Honesty
    Honesty
    So what proof really can a JW give that Jehovah has indeed chosen them?

The 1920's proved it without a boubt.

MILLIONS NOW LIVING WILL NEVER DIE

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev
    Here's the proof right here:

Mary didn't see anything else in your post......oh sorry!!! heehee

• Xirian
    Xirian

I found this article very interesting. There are of course some things that I tend to believe and some things that I definitely don't believe.

It's a rather long article and the following is just a portion of it. It goes along with this particular topic and I just wanted to hear your thoughts either about the entire article (link to follow and will open in a new window) or just the following excerpt:

I mentioned earlier that, upon coming out of Egypt into Sinai en route to Canaan, the Israelites would have expected to be made familiar with the laws and ordinances of their new homeland. However, although this appears to have been partially the case, the situation was largely reversed on the religious front, with the Egyptian customs being introduced to the native Hebrews.

It was upon the mountain at Sinai that Jehovah first announced his presence to Moses. Being an Aten supporter, Moses asked this new lord and master who he was, and the reply was "I am that I am", which in phonetic Hebrew became 'Jehovah'. However, for the longest time afterwards, the Israelites were not allowed to utter the name 'Jehovah' - with the exception of the High Priest who was allowed to whisper the name in private once a year. The problem was that prayers were supposed to be said to this new godhead - but how would he know the prayers were said to him if his name was not mentioned?

The Israelites knew that Jehovah was not the same as Aten (their traditional Adon or Lord), and so they presumed he must be the equivalent of the great State-god of Egypt, even if not one and the same. It was decided, therefore, to add the name of that State- god to all prayers thereafter, and the name of that god was 'Amen'. To this day, the name of 'Amen' is still recited at the end of prayers. Even the well-known Christian Lord's Prayer (as given in the Gospel of Matthew) was transposed from an Egyptian original which began, "Amen, Amen, who art in heaven..."

As for the famous Ten Commandments (said to have been conveyed to Moses by God upon the mountain), these too are of Egyptian origin and they derive directly from Spell Number 125 in the Egyptian Book of the Dead. They were not new codes of conduct invented for the Israelites, but were simply newly stated versions of the ritual confessions of the Pharaohs. For example, the confession "I have not killed" was translated to the decree "Thou shalt not kill"; "I have not stolen" became "Thou shalt not steal"; "I have not told lies" became "Thou shalt not bear false witness"; and so on.

Not only were the Ten Commandments drawn from Egyptian ritual, but so too were the Psalms reworked from Egyptian hymns (though they are attributed to King David). Even the Old Testament Book of Proverbs - the so-called 'wise words of Solomon' - was translated almost verbatim into Hebrew from the writings of an Egyptian sage called Amenemope. These are now held at the British Museum, and verse after verse of the Book of Proverbs can be attributed to this Egyptian original. It has now been discovered that even the writings of Amenemope were extracted from a far older work called The Wisdom of Ptah-hotep, which comes from more than 2,000 years before the time of Solomon.

In addition to the Book of the Dead and the ancient Wisdom of Ptah-hotep, various other Egyptian texts were used in compiling the Old Testament. These include the Pyramid Texts and the Coffin Texts, from which references to the Egyptian gods were simply transposed to relate to the Hebrew god Jehovah.

In Bloodline of the Holy Grail I made the point that the modern style of Christianity, which evolved from the Roman Church in the 4th century AD, was actually a created 'hybrid' - a religion based on themes from numerous others, including, of course, Judaism.

Now it transpires that Judaism itself was no less of a hybrid in the early days, being a composite of Egyptian, Canaanite and Mesopotamian traditions, with the stories, hymns, prayers and rituals of the various and sundry gods brought together and related to a newly contrived 'One God' concept.

What is particularly interesting is that, historically, this was not fully contrived in the time of Abraham, nor even in the later time of Moses. It did not happen until the 6th century BC, when tens of thousands of Israelites were held captive by King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon. Until that time, the Hebrew and Israelite records referred to any number of gods and goddesses by individual names, and under a general plural classification of 'the Elohim'.

Through some 500 years from the captivity, the scriptures existed only as a series of quite separate writings, and it was not until after the time of Jesus that these were collated into a single volume. Jesus himself would never have heard of the Old Testament or the Bible, but the scriptures to which he had access included many books that were not selected for the compilation that we know today.

Strangely, though, some of these books are still mentioned in the modern Bible text as being important to the original culture. They include the Book of the Lord, the Book of the Wars of Jehovah, and the Book of Jasher. Why were they not included? Quite simply because their content did not suit the new Jehovah-based religion that was being created. Jasher, for example, was the Egyptian-born son of Caleb; the brother-in-law to the first Israelite judge Othneil; and the appointed royal staff-bearer to Moses. It is generally reckoned that the Book of Jasher's position in the Bible should be between the books of Deuteronomy and Joshua, but it was sidestepped by the editors because it sheds a very different light on the sequence of events at Mount Horeb in Sinai.

The familiar Exodus account explains that Jehovah issued instructions to Moses concerning masters and servants, covetousness, neighbourly behaviour, crime, marriage, morality and many other issues including the all-important rule of the Sabbath, along with the Ten Commandments.

But, in Jasher (which pre-dates the Exodus writings), these laws and ordinances are not conveyed to Moses by Jehovah. In fact, Jehovah is not mentioned at all. The new laws, says the Book of Jasher, were communicated to Moses and the Israelites by Jethro, High Priest of Midian and Lord of the Mountain. In effect, Jethro was the overall governor of the Sinai temple.

In Hebrew, the title 'Lord (or Lofty One) of the Mountain' was translated as 'El Shaddai', and this is particularly significant for that was precisely the name related to Moses when he asked the Lord to reveal his identity. The Lord said, "I am that I am. I am he that Abraham called 'El Shaddai'". "I am that I am" eventually became transposed to the name 'Jehovah', but, as related in Jasher (and as confirmed in Exodus when correctly read), this Lord was not a deiform god at all. He was Jethro the El Shaddai, the great vulcan and Master Craftsman of the Hathor temple.

Apart from the fact that we are taught about certain aspects of the Bible text, I think it is fair to say that not too many of us actually study the books ourselves. As a result of this, our perceived images are generally those conjured by picture-books and films. Hollywood, of course, has done us proud with its portrayals of Moses on the mountain and God blasting the words of the Ten Commandments onto two great, barely portable, granite slabs. In Exodus, however, there is no such depiction, and the Commandments are said to have been written down by Moses himself (at the dictation of the Lord) after he had broken the first tablets that he was given.

As for the other part of the Sinai package, the Tables of Testimony, these are stated in the teachings of the Kabbala and the Midrash to have been held within a sacred gemstone which Moses placed "in the palm of his hand". This was the same Divine Stone of Wisdom said to have been inherited by King Solomon. In the earlier texts of Egypt it was called the 'Tablet of Hermes', which embodied the wisdom of Thoth.

Star Fire: The Gold of the Gods

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

One reason: They said so. Can't you "apostates" see the logic in that? You wicked people.

Another reason: They were the only ones dispensing food at the proper time in 1919 when Jesus made his inspection. They claim that this is the proof that Jesus needed to choose them to run things. BUT, every single teaching they advocated in 1919 has been dropped, denied, or changed. So in fact NOTHING they taught in 1919 was "food at the proper time", unless poisoned food (falsehoods) are Jesus' idea of good food. This alone should prove to ALL JW's that they could NEVER be the "truth". Will it? No, the WT is too good at making JW's turn their brains off when they are told to.

And now the child abuse scandal. Would God use an organization that protects child rapists in its midst, punishing little children (and adults) for reporting that they have been abused, protecting elders who did it, and all the other disgusting things they do? I can't think of any closer analogy to compare the WT to than the Nazis. And when the Nazis and the WT start to look and act the same, I think we have our answer.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

And to boil it all down for those who have difficulty understanding the WTS-prescribed scriptural reasons as proof of the WTS members being chosen as God's people, there's this statement that reveals the true light when spoken by a jdubya or intimated by a jdubya's conduct towards those who question or refuse to believe WTS members are chosen by Jehovah:

"Well, if I'd known you were one of those I wouldn't have wasted my time. When Hank (Jehovah) kicks the shit out of you (destroys or kills you, along with other innocent men, women and children) I'll be there, counting my money and laughing. I'll kiss Hank's (Jehovah's) ass for you, you bunless cut-wienered kraut-eater" (person who's free to enjoy all sorts of foods, recreation, education, work and knowledge.)

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

If I was an apologist I would say, in all seriousness, because they alone are by FAR the largest global religion that holds to 6 fundamental scriptural truths: The truth about who God is (ie, not a trinity, etc), the truth about the soul and the condition of the dead, the truth about what God's kingdom is, they are neutral in politics and war, and they recognise and use God's name Jehovah (transliterated). Other groups may hold to some of these beliefs, in varying combinations, but none hold to all 6 of these prime truths, and they are all much smaller than the JW's and so it is not logical that Jehovah has used them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit