Utah JW Pedophile Confesses

by Gerard 29 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME
    Nov 15, 2006
    Yes, it's great that the man was told to go to authorities.
    At least one Elder has stood up and told a man to go to the authorities

This I like to see. Does anyone know what the law is in Utah? Are clergy required to report molestation cases in Utah? Did this Elder really go above and beyond?

bczar

• outnfree
    outnfree

Child Abuse and Neglect Investigation

Utah law requires any person who has reason to believe that a child has been subjected to abuse, neglect, or dependency to immediately notify the nearest office of Child and Family Services, a peace officer, or a law enforcement agency. Abuse, neglect, or dependency of a child can be physical, emotional, or sexual.

Child Protective Services is a required service offered to all Utah residents by Child and Family Services. When a child is reported as being abused or neglected, child protection social workers are required by law to make a face-to-face contact with the child and determine if abuse, neglect, or dependency occurred.

Rest of the article at: http://dcfs.utah.gov/can_investigation.htm

out

• Berean
    Berean

I don't believe that the elder did anything other that what the GB instructed him to do. The reason for pleading not guilty, I read somewhere, provides a means for possible reduced sentences... just a legal maneuver in most courts in the US.

• Scully
    Scully

Child Abuse and Neglect Investigation

Utah law requires any person who has reason to believe that a child has been subjected to abuse, neglect, or dependency to immediately notify the nearest office of Child and Family Services, a peace officer, or a law enforcement agency. Abuse, neglect, or dependency of a child can be physical, emotional, or sexual.

Child Protective Services is a required service offered to all Utah residents by Child and Family Services. When a child is reported as being abused or neglected, child protection social workers are required by law to make a face-to-face contact with the child and determine if abuse, neglect, or dependency occurred.

Rest of the article at: http://dcfs.utah.gov/can_investigation.htm

Utah is also the state where Fundamentalist LDS compounds are located, and the leaders openly practice polygamy (taking young teenaged girls for their new "wives") claiming that it is a tenet of their faith and part of their freedom of worship. And they've gotten away with it for decades.

• gordon d
    gordon d

The only reason he confessed to this is because it happened in Utah... all he has to do is marry both of the girls before they turn 10 and the charges will be dismissed!

• rebel8
    rebel8

Just to point this out.......

The news article claims the perp turned himself in after the elder urged him to. According to the article, the elder did not report it to the authorities.

The law quoted on page 2 of this thread requires the elder to report it to the authorities himself. Instead he relied upon a pedophile scumbag to turn himself in. Even if he thought the perp would confess, it does not seem the elder was legally absolved in any way of his own responsibility to report it.

Let's not applaud the elder just yet. He violated the law and did way too little to ensure the perp would be stopped and punished.

"not guilty" plea about?

This way you can negotiate charges and by extension time served.

Then I imagine we can expect him to be disfellowshipped for lying to the court by saying he's not guilty.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Rebel8, your words are priceless and I couldn't have said it better myself.

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

Courts offer you no other alternative.

If you wish to give your side of the story in the hearing of the court you must plea not guilty.

Since he confessed the plea is obviously a way to bargain. With these types of cases getting so much publicity I doubt the judge will allow much leeway.

bczar

• Gerard
    Gerard

I agree with rebel8, the reporting elder acted ethically right by encouraging the scumbag to turn himself in. But the elder should have contacted the police in addition and/or instead.

Note that the scumbag felt no remorse for his actions but fear for himself. I agree with Kimberly in that a pedophile of that age must have had more than 2 victims.

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

I too am glad to see an elder 'doing the right thing', regardless of motive.

IMO, elders are receiving instruction from on high to 'turn in the perp' because they are getting their *sses handed to them on a plate in civil rulings in civil courts. Just my (educated) opinion...

But hey, again, WHATEVER it takes...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit