Why Jehovah's Witness do not want to see the flaws within the religion

by The wanderer 22 Replies latest jw friends

• penny2
    penny2

jayhawk & uwish - there is no need to disparage. You can simply pass over The Wanderer's threads if you feel that way.

Wanderer, I think you've asked a very interesting question. Although I lived through 1975 and had many arguments about it with relatives, I didn't at the time make the connection with "the truth" not being the truth. In time, I became a 'weak and unfaithful jw', fading, I guess.

One evening in the mid-90's, I was having dinner with another jw. He told me he looked forward to growing old. He said it with such conviction and in that moment, I realised I had believed a lie.

There is nothing you can say to change the mind of a believing jw. On the other hand, you never know when something you say, might help someone see the light.

penny2

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Wanderer - I'm glad you post these type of threads, it opens up discussion on a subject that both those who have already left and those who are contemplating can relate to and think about, keep it up please.

As far as your main question (the topic) I feel from my own personal experience, that to devote yourself to a religion like this that requires you make a stand against non believers (non JW's) in many situations - example: holidays like xmas, to devote much time and effort to it, that it simply must be right. The indoctrination has been leading your mind to not accept the possibility that it could be false or a lie. Any area's of doubt can really shake a person until they regain their JW mindset and push it away into the deepest part of your mind. It doesnt work on a logical thought process, but rather a conditioning, that replaces the right conclusion with the one the WTS wants you to think. When I am able to speak to current witnesses and ask them questions a mental wall comes up when something that could challenge their beliefs is discussed. It seems to me to be a mechanism, that automatically takes over to keep the person 'safe' from reality. It is also about dependance, like a habit or drug that one can simply not function without, and the fear of losing it is too much for them to consider.

CS 101

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    It seems to me to be a mechanism, that automatically takes over to keep the person 'safe' from reality. It is also about dependance, like a habit or drug that one can simply not function without, and the fear of losing it is too much for them to consider.

It is indeed a mechanism; its one of many deep psychological triggers which automatically 'kick in' when something challenges them.

I remember one particular talk where we were told to evaluate whether something is upbuilding or negative; we were given examples of what could be upbuilding and what could be negative; its sickening when you consider how controlled our minds were at that time.

Gary

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit