My Grandmother is Dying (non JW) from Cancer

by jrjr4189 13 Replies latest jw friends

• jrjr4189
    jrjr4189

My Grandma was sent to hospital last wednesday in the middle of night (I was there when it happened, because i stay at their house once a week because I work in NY and they live closer to my job). She has been battling colon and liver cancer for about 15 months and we were told yesterday that it has spread into her lungs and that it will not be long.

My Grandmother is not a JW nor is my grandfather or my father. She is however a methodist and I think she has a belief in Jesus and that she is going to heaven.

I would like to use a short scripture in a card to her that might ease her mind a little in these last days of hers. She was always supportive of me when I was a JW even though she didn't buy into no christmas, birthdays, the usual and always celebrated them with me anyway (like any good grandmother would do).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

So sorry to hear that jrjr

If she knows about her condition and faces it, I'd suggest one of my favourite passages from Paul:

We do not live to ourselves, and we do not die to ourselves. If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord; so then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and lived again, so that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living. -- Romans 14:7ff.

Or, more classically:

neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. -- Romans 8:38f.
  • lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I'm sorry jr.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I am sorry to hear the sad news, jrjr4189. I immediately thought of the same Scripture Narkissos suggested first.

• codeblue
    codeblue

(((jrjr))) so sorry about your grandmother

I watched my Mom die of cancer...it's pretty tough situation.

Sending you many hugs to help you cope

• unique1
    unique1

I am so sorry to hear that. My heart goes out to you and your family.

• jgnat
  • jrjr4189
    jrjr4189
    If she knows about her condition and faces it, I'd suggest one of my favourite passages from Paul:

Yes Narkissos she knows her condition and her fate. That scripture is beautiful, thank you so much for your suggestion.

Thank you to the rest of you for your support and kind words.

• Gill
    Gill

((((((((( jrjr )))))))))))

I'm sorry I can't give you scriptural comfort as I am NOT a believer, but that doesn't stop me sending you caring vibes.

Gill

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I don't know, but what I would want to hear is anything that would validate my life. Mention the little things that she did that was an effort on her part that she might not think you noticed. And of course that you love her. I'm sorry for your GrandMom and her whole family for having to suffer this.

But one thing with Cancer - it gives the family a chance to put all things right unlike a sudden death. Godspeed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit