Abused Young Women vs WBTS on You Tube

by unclebruce 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Mary
    Mary

Thanks Lee. I remember seeing that when it first came on either in 2002 or 2003. I was watching it with my Witness parents and my father absolutely flipped. Not at the cover up, but at me! He told me how "negative" I was towards "the Truth" and he went on and on. I was shocked at first, but I quickly realized that his reaction was because deep down he knew these girls were telling the truth and that was a huge threat to his belief in the religion. While my parents are far more liberal in many respects than most Witnesses, they still believe this is "the Truth" and it is simply too horrifying for them to comprehend that something that they've long condemned the Catholic Church for, is happening in their own religion.

BTW, I spoke to my Dub sister the other day about child abuse in the Borg. She informed me that the elders "have now gotten new direction on how to deal with child abuse." I asked her if she thought it was because of the bad publicity and exposure that the Organization got on Dateline a few years ago. She admitted it probably was.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Hi Mary,

It's interesting that your dad flipped out. These are very serious allegations and it's hard to imagine any father watching and listening to those two girls without getting worked up (poor bastards brain musta switched into denial mode). Apart from the disgust at the thought of the perpetators getting away with their crimes, I'm sickened by the Watchtower Lawyers and the spin they put on it, knowing full well what they're saying is an outright lie. Even sicker is the fact that this child abuse is being covered up for the sake of protecting the Society's assetts.

Lee

ps: sorry i called your dad a bastard

• Gill
    Gill

Doesn't the fact that the WTBTS had to CHANGE its policy towards child abuse victims prove that they had the wrong or bad policy to start with and that they DID cover over abuse?

• Mary
    Mary
    unclebruce said: It's interesting that your dad flipped out. These are very serious allegations and it's hard to imagine any father watching and listening to those two girls without getting worked up (poor bastards brain musta switched into denial mode).

That's exactly what happened. It was just too much for him to comprehend that "the Truth" could possibly be responsible for anything so horrific. When I asked him if he thought the girls from Dateline were lying, he evaded the subject but made a comment about the one being "all tatooed and pierced everywhere." I calmly explained that when you've been sexually abused, many girls will mark themselves up like that because they don't want any man to be attracted to them. He listened, but didn't say anything. For him at his age to even begin to think that he's been lied to his whole life is just too much for him and I don't force the issue. It could literally kill him. Many Witnesses who watched the show had the same reaction as my dad: it was simply not possible that God's Chosen were committing criminal acts and covering them up at the highest levels. If it were just happening in a couple of local Halls, that's one thing, but for "Christ's brothers" to be responsible for a cover up is just beyond their comprehension.

gill asked: Doesn't the fact that the WTBTS had to CHANGE its policy towards child abuse victims prove that they had the wrong or bad policy to start with and that they DID cover over abuse?

It's called "New Light" hon.

• lowden
    lowden

Here's part of the transcript from the BBC Panorama programme that went out at a similar time.

BBC reporter talking to Paul Gillies at Mill Hill Bethel in London.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): But the victims wanted answers. We again asked for an interview with their spokesman, Paul Gillies. When he refused we phoned him, told him we were recording and asked a simple question. Are elders told to report allegations of abuse to the police or not?

PAUL GILLIES (WATCHTOWER BIBLE & TRACT SOCIETY'S OFFICIAL SPOKESPERSON): The elders' guideline is: if you get any single allegation of child abuse come to your attention, phone this office.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Why phone this office? Why not phone your local police station?

PAUL GILLIES (WATCHTOWER BIBLE & TRACT SOCIETY'S OFFICIAL SPOKESPERSON): Well, you see the first thing is we have to make sure for the protection of the child, that's our first priority.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Is it the protection of the child... is it fair to ask you, isn't it the protection of the church that comes straight to mind there?

PAUL GILLIES (WATCHTOWER BIBLE & TRACT SOCIETY'S OFFICIAL SPOKESPERSON): It is the protection of the child. We have a child protection policy.

I hope these bastards rot in hell for their lies and flagrant evil.

Lowden

• codeblue
    codeblue

Thanks Uncle Bruce for posting this site.

I didn't see this when it aired, I did see the last 10 minutes of the Dateline May 2002 that exposed the WTBS pedophile coverup.....that was a "defining moment" as Dr. Phil would say regarding a religion that I thought had "pure worship"... (still shaking my head)

• delilah
    delilah

I saw this on television as well, and was disgusted that the WT still tries to defend their rule on reporting abuse within the congregation. It's bullshite....they are not trying to protect the children at all. They're trying to protect the abuser, and their own arses. They make me ill.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I've seen that before on silentlambs, but it's good that it's now on You Tube, as people who maybe wouldn't visit the silentlambs site will see it there. The more exposure the jws paedophile protection policy gets, the better.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Uncle Bruce:

Thank you for sharing that video.

Though, I admit it is a crying
    shame that this cut throat
    is getting away with this.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest