Repulsed by the thought

by serendipity 33 Replies latest jw friends

• bebu
    bebu

@ anony mouse!

I don't know what laws allow, but it's hard to believe that your voice would not be a deciding factor in a life/death situation.

I hope someone here (nurses? lawyers?) can let you know what your power of choice is, and how you may have it (if needed).

bebu

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

When I was a kid, before my mother became a JWs I remember she would serve blood pudding every now and then. She grew up on a farm and they thought nothing of eating this. I remember eating it but the thought of it. Now makes me ill just thinking about it.

But a blood transfusion? that wouldn't bother me.

When my second daughter was born we had a bit of a scare that she might need blood. I was considering letting them do it - I wished they would take it out of our hands (the elders came running). I didn't want this baby I had worked so hard to come into this world. I wasn't going to let blood take her from me. I didn't know how I would have pulled it off but I would have found a way. In the end she didn't need it but it was pretty scary when it happened.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My feeling is that I wouldn't casually take blood, anymore than I would casually take a kidney or a lens for my eye. However, in a life and death situation, where there was a question as to whether I would live or die-I would want the blood. Imminent death seems a bit more dangerous than hepatitis or even AIDS. If I survive some life threatening trauma only to aquire AIDS, then there will be something valuable to the experience. If someone is asking me if I want a blood boost-NO, I think its stupid. I figure if I am unable to make the decision, it means I really really need it. If I am conscious and able to consent, I would be able to use my judgement.

I have had SO many surgeries, and so much physical trauma, that I don't think anything would repulse me that would save a life. My eldest son, when he was born had some severe problems and blood was given as a potential need/option. I was very young then and I had only been out of the org for a few years, but I told them if it was really nec. then they should do what was required to keep him alive and healthy. So, when push comes to shove regarding my kids, I know where I stand, and i have never doubted it. Even as a 21 year old. At that time, my mom was really trying to influence me otherwise, she was appalled by the pregnancy, appalled by the medical problems I had during it and when my son was born, she actually said (after he had been diagnosed with severe Group B Strep) that perhaps it was for the best if he died. Since his father was a so-and-so, etc, etc. I forgave her that, but I have never forgotten it. She has never been on my list to raise the kids if something happened to me. It repulses me to think of these people who would make an idol of blood, while denying its purpose-LIFE.

• FreeChick
    FreeChick

I threw away my card right away. My father has the No Blood keychain. I hate seeing it whenever he picks me up, it turns my stomach.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit