Hi all im new here and have lots of questions

by mr_phishy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

For you, "Combatting Cult Mind Control" by Steve Hassan www.freedomofmind.com

For your girlfriend, "Crisis of Conscience" by Raymond Franz http://www.freeminds.org/sales/books.htm

• parakeet
    parakeet

wvpeach: "Pick your denomination and you'll find christian brothers and sisters there including the Jehovahs Wittness's"

The JWs pick only one denomination that they consider Christian, and that's themselves. Everyone else (including you) is considered part of Satan's world soon to be destroyed in a worldwide bloodbath. That sound Christian to you?

If that's your hope, I recommend reading AuldSoul's heartbroken thread from a few days ago. He's married to a JW and is still trying, after many years, to get her to realize the truth about the JWs. If you and your gf ever decide to have children, think of the misery this issue will cause your children (I was a JW kid with a nonJW dad and a JW mom; I know what I'm talking about). Pay special attention to the JW ban on blood transfusions. Think all these things over very carefully before you commit to this woman. Good luck.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Mr_phishy,

Here is the official Watchtower stance on marrying a non Witness. Notice it is under an article entitled:

May 1st Watchtower 2002, page.17

Jehovah Hates the Course of Treachery

Some today might reason: ‘The person I’m attracted to is very nice. In time, he (or she) will likely accept true worship.’ Such thinking confirms the inspired warning: "The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate." (Jeremiah 17:9) God’s view of marrying an unbeliever is expressed at Malachi 2:12: "Jehovah will cut off each one that does it." Thus, Christians are urged to marry "only in the Lord." (1 Corinthians 7:39) Under the Christian system of things, a believer is not "cut off" for marrying an unbeliever. Still, if the unbeliever stays in his or her unbelief, what will happen to that one when God shortly brings this system to an end?—Psalm 37:37, 38.

"When God shortly brings this system to an end" is a euphemism for "When God kills everyone who is not a Jehovah's Witness." That would be, uh hmm, YOU. This is what your girlfriend will be returning to when she gets back in the fold. This is not slander or gossip. It is not hate speach about Jehovah's Witnesses. It is clear that thier "Brand" of Christianity has no room for brotherhood with any other "Christian" denominations.

So you know. If you are living together and she meets with the Elders, she will either, move out and then marry you, stay with you and tell them to go to hell and be disfellowshiped, or drop you like a stone. Either way I hope you find peace.

W.Once

edited to place spaces between title words.. were bunched up.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Mr Phishy

It is very difficult for almost everyone on this forum to NOT sound like they truly detest the Jehovah's Witnesss when it is actually the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society that they detest .

Since it is from them that all the commands and orders and demands come from and are delivered to each and every one and family of Jehovah's witnesses.

Having a christmas tree in your house to celebrate christ will almost always cause the parents to be excommunicated. Which always brings on shunning which means loss of friends, children, parents, siblings. If you don't grovel before the elders of the congregation and plead to never do this again.

Or to continue speaking to one of your friends or relatives that has been excommunicated.

Or refuse to obey them and let the hospital transfuse blood to your dying child or mother or wife.

For any of these things and a host more they will tear your family and friends apart.

How do I know these things? This is how my family was destroyed along with my marriage.

Outoftheorg

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

WV peach, a baptist or methodist would have no problem calling themselves a sister or brother in Christ along side you. A JW would not. Your husband does not consider you to be such.

This is not a bashing place. It is a place for reflection, observation and honesty. Sometimes the truth is ugly.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I don't really consider myself neutral on the subject, it's just that I don't think there are that many options in a situation like this.

I agree that "Combating Mind Control" is a good book to read, but I would say don't read it unless you plan on reading Hassans second book 'releasing the bonds'. Some of the techniques used in Combating Mind Control are no longer seen as effective tools. Releasing the bonds even has a few things about Jehovah's Witnesses in it.

I'm not out to simply slam someones religion or just tear down people. I'm sure there are many other sites on the net that do this when it comes to JWs (and occasionally a few people here) but for the most part many of us are giving you some good balanced opinion. We want to base everything on the facts, and the facts show that the Watchtower organization uses many cult like techniques in order to control its members. Unless you understand this you will never fully understand your situation.

I must tell you this. The very fact that this girl is looking outside of the Watchtower organization for companionship shows that she is not fully in step with it. This is a huge plus for you. JWs are told that everybody outside of their organization is evil and here she is getting involved with you! I can't tell you how many times I have read on this boad that people where shocked by kindness shown to them by people outside the Watchtower org. The kindness of yourself, as well as your family and others towards her is a huge factor in itself, and you haven't even gotten into the religion part of it.

Again, there is alot to think about. I would suggest reading both "Combating Mind Control" as well as "Releasing the Bonds" by Steven Hassan as well as "Crisis of Conscience" by Raymond Franz. They will give you a better understanding of what is going on in her mind. Ray Franz has a second book "In Search of Christian Freedom" that is very good too, but it may be a little to deep into the Witness world for you to understand. Regardless, I think you need to get into those books.

Take you time and learn about what this is all about. There are plenty of people here to answer questions along the way. What I would not do is rush to confront her with material or things you learn on the internet right away. It's going to take at the very least a month or two before you really start to understand the Watchtower and what it is. In time you will be able to help her out if that is what you choose to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit