Does "false religion" originate in Babylon?

by I.Wonder 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• I.Wonder
    I.Wonder

Bible Teach book says:

17 The Bible shows that all the many forms of false religion are part of "Babylon the Great." (Revelation 17:5) That name calls to mind the ancient city of Babylon, where false religion started up after the Flood of Noah’s day. Many teachings and practices now common in false religion originated long ago in Babylon. For example, the Babylonians worshiped trinities, or triads, of gods. Today, the central doctrine of many religions is the Trinity. But the Bible clearly teaches that there is only one true God, Jehovah, and that Jesus Christ is his Son. (John 17:3) The Babylonians also believed that humans have an immortal soul that survives the body after death and can suffer in a place of torment. Today, belief in the immortal soul or spirit that can suffer in hellfire is taught by most religions. (Bible Teach chap.15 p.152 par 17)

Can these practices be traced to any other place (post "flood")?

I.Wonder

• james_woods
    james_woods

And here I thought it was in Eden...

any comments from Lilith?

• Satanus
    Satanus

That one paragraph is loaded w false statements.

1. The flood actually happened

2. Babylon was the only origin of religion

3. That the trinity defintion is about more than one god

4. That some content of the bible did not come from babylon

5. That babylon did not recieve it's religion from a previous civilisation

S

Ps, notice how the length of those sentences form a pyramidal shape? Not sure what that means, but isn't it spooky?

• I.Wonder
    I.Wonder

How I wish I had something intelligent to say!

I don't know much about the Lilith story. Wasn't she thought to be the first wife of Adam?

• I.Wonder
    I.Wonder
    That one paragraph is loaded w false statements.

I agree with you.

3. That the trinity defintion is about more than one god

I am curious Satanus. What do you mean?

• daystar
    daystar

The premise is false, making the rest irrelevant, that there is "false religion" since there is not such a thing as "true religion". It's a binary logic system that bears little resemblance to reality, which is fuzzy and subjective.

• I.Wonder
    I.Wonder

Daystar I agree with you completely.

In the eyes of a JW there is "one true religion" anything outside of that is considered false.

Why do they insist on linking beliefs that are outside of their own to ancient Babylon?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Why do they insist on linking beliefs that are outside of their own to ancient Babylon?

Simple, I. Wonder.

It is due to the persistent influence of Alexander Hislop's 19th century tome, "The Two Babylons: Or the Papal Worship proved to be the Worship of Nimrod and his Wife" on JW (and other minority denominational) mindsets. It is pseudo-historical, anti-Catholic rhetoric which relies on myth, half-truths and Hislop's imagination to prove his assertions.

See http://www.equip.org/free/DC187.htm

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

All religion is false religion, and it didn't originate in Babylon.

I'm working on an article about the origins of Xmas for my paper network, and I'm going to take the JW thought that they don't celebrate Xmas due to its pagan origins and show that essentially all of the teachings surrounding Jesus - virgin birth, his death as a redeemer, resurrection, being viewed as a son of god, getting his reward in heaven, being 'a god,' etc. are ALL based on pagan ideas.

So, if the Witnesses reject anything with pagan origins, they must reject Christianity, because it is completely built on Judaism and pagan cults of the time.

S4

• I.Wonder
    I.Wonder

Thanks for the link AnnOMaly I didn't read the entire thing but I saved it to my "Favorites".

Seeker4 did you happen to read The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy?

If you did what did you think of it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit