Hypocrisy on holidays, etc.

by Rebirth 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Rebirth
    Rebirth

I was just thinking about how hypocritical it is for Jw's to declare things like birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc. as defiled because of their roots. Their roots, their beginning, in the days of Russell, are the things that they find disgusting today (the cross, birthdays, blood, etc.). Do they throw out their religion because of it's unsavory foundation?

Why can't we celebrate the joys of modern-day Christmas: giving gifts, being with family (not the pagan roots of various icons). Thanksgiving: gratitude and family (and not the massacre of indians).

They say that they've evolved, that their light as brighter, yet they still celebrate their beginnings. Well, I"m here to say that it is hypocritical to call Christmas,etc. wrong because of its beginnings when such events have evolved into something very different.

Can I hear an AMEN??

p.s. excuse my typos, don't have time to proof read this afternoon.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Good point. Include this, though:

The Watchtower was founded on Pyramidology.

• Latte
    Latte

AMEN!

• Rebirth
    Rebirth

oh yeah, can't forgot that OTWO. I was thinking of using this line of reasoning next time of husband says something to me or the girls about celebrating the holidays. Think that would be wise?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"WISE" That depends on what you mean.

If you want to show him your learned or shrewd understanding of the issues- Wise, yes.

If you want to make it difficult for him to dispute your wisdom- Wise, yes.

If you want to stir up trouble- Wise, yes.

If you want to start him thinking- Wise, yes.

If you want to have peace in the family and cause him to back down at the same time- Wise, no.

• becca1
    becca1

Well said onthewayout.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Good points, Rebirth.

Why can't we celebrate the joys of modern-day Christmas: giving gifts, being with family (not the pagan roots of various icons). Thanksgiving: gratitude and family

The wts maybe think that if they allowed these things, the dubs would actually enjoy them, and if they start giving gifts, they would have less money to put in the www box. It might open their eyes to the kind of rigid, manipulative cult they've joined, and the gb can't afford to take that chance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit