Armageddon & end of World religions

by Moomin 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Moomin
    Moomin

I was just wondering that in the Bible it states that at a time that you do not expect is the time that the end will come.

Do you think that for as long as there are end of world religions then there will always be some expecting it at the correct time? Or maybe the religion or the belief that it is near will peter out due to the constant disapointments?

I'm not sure but I think that there have been people believing the end will be in their lifetime for a few centuries now so maybe there always will be.

Do you think that that scripture would apply to every individual or to cetain groups of people?

• skyking
    skyking

I have read many, many books about who penned the bible and why the proven fact tell us about book that should not be taken as infallible. I study the bible and am very interested in what it says but most people need to look at the bible as less GOD AUTHORITIVE book and more as a book the shows inaccurate accounts at best.

There will always be end of the world religions that think they are going to see the end the way they believe it will happen. That is what people do they always have and always will.

• Moomin
    Moomin

Hi SkyKing,

Thanks for your reply. Can you recommend any good books that you have read to help me understand how the bible was put together? I am currently reading 'The Making and Impact of the Bible' by Stephen Miller & Robert Huber. I haven't read a lot but don't seem to be getting much from it.

Since always believing that the Bible is God's word and that he would have made sure that it was correct (learnt from witnesses), I have lately been wondering about the evidence that suggests all is not right. It is very disconcerting and knocks me right out of my comfort zone but I would rather face the truth even if it isn't as nice as what I believed in.

Do you believe that Jesus' words are true in the Gospels? I think sometimes that if at least those are true then I can concentrate on them. I don't think I believe the story of Noah is literal anymore but my hubby says neither is the story of the good samaritan, its just there to learn from so it doesn't have to be real. It would be nice to know what is literal and what isn't, sometimes I don't know how we are expected to know either way.

Moomin

• sinis
    sinis
    Do you believe that Jesus' words are true in the Gospels? I think sometimes that if at least those are true then I can concentrate on them. I don't think I believe the story of Noah is literal anymore but my hubby says neither is the story of the good samaritan, its just there to learn from so it doesn't have to be real. It would be nice to know what is literal and what isn't, sometimes I don't know how we are expected to know either way.

No, jesus is a myth. Even if he existed he was not the son of god. Believe in god but don't count on salvation. Every century has had its dooms sayers and end of times prophets and we're still rolling along. Live life, every minute, because this is quite possibly the only life you will have...

Here is a great site to get you started:

http://www.medmalexperts.com/POCM/getting_started_pocm.html

• jgnat
  • Moomin
    Moomin

Thanks guys for your replies. I'll look through the links you gave me :)

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I remember that it was a difficult time when I realized that the Bible is just another book and not in any way inspired. A combination of re-written history, myth, allegory and madman ramblings - certainly not to be taken literally or as god's word.

I once started noting the places in the Bible where it says "the day of Jehovah is near," or similar expressions. According to that, people have been expecting the "day of Jehovah" for about 3,000 years, and probably some will be still expecting it in another 3000.

S4

• Borgia
    Borgia

Moomin,

christians have believed for about 1973 years that the end is near. Before that, the Jews believed it for about 4 to 500 years. Before that, there is this account of Enoch who was supposed to believe that the end would come.

That end...the flood...is hard to proof to be worldwide when it was supposed to have happened about 2300 bce.

With big steps quickly home review I would say that humans, with or without the bible have never ever understood a syllabus about "the end" and seems more to be a product of lively imagination than actual fact.

Just a thought.

cheers

Borgia

• Moomin
    Moomin

So I guess if the end was to come (i'm not saying it will) but if it did, then there will definately be people expecting it? So that scripture where it says 'at a time that you don't think to be it' will not apply to them then?

I'm not too good at explaining things, I have re-read my opening post and realised its not too clear.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Armageddon & end of World religions exist because it creates an urgency to life and religion. Without it, people would miss church (which means they donate less money) and they would not have the same devotion in their leaders, as it would not matter. So as long as it is a good sell, Armageddon & end of World religions, will be as common as the sun rising and setting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit