50 Years Ago in the Watchtower

by Thirdson 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

No doubt you are familiar with the practice of many popular magazines to print selected extracts from their issues 25, 50 or 100 years ago. (Scientific American goes back 150 years). What is interesting is the ideas presented then, sometimes they are fanciful and just plain wrong. Other times, discoveries are reported that have a major impact on our lives.

For a bit of fun I have reproduced a sample from the Watchtower October 1,1951 issue. Perhaps this isn’t as interesting as that of science magazines because the WTS doesn’t change that much and it is sad to see so much rehashed with each issue. However, 50 years is a long time to wait without doing anything except wait.

Looking Back -- 50 Years Ago

Simply for upholding these Scriptural principles, Christians are frequently charged with carrying on a "hate campaign" and being "against everything". (John 15:19) By contrast, worldlings, in display of their own righteousness, will point to their institutions for the care of the blind, of the aged, of children and of animals. Yet, what do these things really prove? Are they not only blank admissions of the imperfect, selfish conditions abroad that prompt their need? For example, during its toll-taking wars, this system of things reaps a great harvest of widows. It is not unselfish love so much as natural duty that the ones responsible should later care for these widows.

Like Jesus, Christians today prominently display their light as from a lampstand. God's glorious new world, its program for true world betterment, the visible organization now given them for the work of praising God, God's Word the Bible, their fellow workers, the people of good will flocking into the ever-expanding theocratic organization-all these things true Christians love with their whole souls or lives. Their lives are given that others may learn this and have life.-Matt. 5:14-16, NW. –- October 1, 1951 Watchtower

Thankfully, over the past 50 years the “worldlings” have continued to care for the blind, aged, children and animals. Meantime ,the WTS has increased and given many a life of waiting and doing nothing. Aren’t we glad that the selfish and duty bound worldlings do their stuff.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

Lots of editing for crappy spelling and I used Word!
    And again...must have drunk too much wine this evening.

• r51785
    r51785

I've always loved the WT use of the word "worldling." It sounds so cultish. I understand however that this usage is no longer part of the "Pure Language" (another classic!). Can someone confirm this for me?

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I recall only one usage of the word "wordling" in the magazines in the past five years. It seems to have fallen from grace.

As for the quote from 1951, if the date wasn't given you could assume it was next week's study article. Same old crapola, deriding those who help their fellow humans, glorifying their own parasitic cult. Don't it make ya wanna puke!

Expatbrit

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

r,

In later years they changed to the term "worldly persons". However, so I understand, quite recently they have stated that terms such as "worldly" are not to be used.

While the term may have been removed from more recent WTS publications you can bet that ordinary congregation members still use the terms. Afterall, my dad still says "back calls" for "return visits" and "circuit servant" instead of "overseer".

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thirdson,

Instead of using "worldly", maybe they'll get politically correct and use my new term: SPIRITUALLY CHALLENGED!

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

July 2001 KM:
    May our hearts never lead us to pursue a worldly career or material things instead of whole-souled service to Jehovah.

Watchtower Study - July , 2001
    Repudiate Worldly Desires

We must be determined “to repudiate ungodliness and worldly desires and to live with soundness of mind and righteousness and godly devotion amid this present system of things. (Titus 2:12)

dungbeetle...cleaning up the crap.

ediated for speeling...

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Y'all gonna LOVE this....

From the WT 99 CD ROM: Awake, Sept 8 1997, page 12

The Bible's Viewpoint

"No Part of the World"-What Does It Mean?

IN THE fourth century C.E., thousands of professed Christians left behind their possessions, relatives, and way of life to live in isolation in the deserts of Egypt. They became known as anchorites, from the Greek a·na·kho·re'o, meaning "I withdraw." One historian describes them as holding themselves aloof from their contemporaries. Anchorites thought that by withdrawing from human society, they were obeying the Christian requirement to be "no part of the world."-John 15:19.

The Bible does admonish Christians to keep "without spot from the world." (James 1:27) The Scriptures clearly warn: "Adulteresses, do you not know that the friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God." (James 4:4) Does this mean, though, that Christians are expected to become anchorites, withdrawing from others in a literal sense? Should they keep aloof from those who do not share their religious beliefs?

Christians Are Not Antisocial

The concept of being no part of the world is discussed in numerous Bible accounts that highlight the need for Christians to separate themselves from the mass of human society that is alienated from God. (Compare 2 Corinthians 6:14-17; Ephesians 4:18; 2 Peter 2:20.) Hence, true Christians wisely shun attitudes, speech, and conduct that conflict with Jehovah's righteous ways, such as the world's avid pursuit of riches, prominence, and excessive indulgence in pleasures. (1 John 2:15-17) They also keep separate from the world by remaining neutral in matters of war and politics.

Jesus Christ said that his disciples would be "no part of the world." But he also prayed to God: "I request you, not to take them out of the world, but to watch over them because of the wicked one." (John 17:14-16) Clearly, Jesus did not want his disciples to become antisocial, shunning all contact with non-Christians. Actually, isolation would prevent a Christian from fulfilling his commission to preach and teach "publicly and from house to house."-Acts 20:20; Matthew 5:16; 1 Corinthians 5:9, 10.

The counsel to remain without spot from the world does not give Christians any basis for considering themselves superior to others. Those who fear Jehovah hate "self-exaltation." (Proverbs 8:13) Galatians 6:3 states that "if anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he is deceiving his own mind." Those who feel superior deceive themselves because "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."-Romans 3:23.

"Speak Injuriously of No One"

In Jesus' day there were people who disdained all who did not belong to their exclusive religious groups. Among these were the Pharisees. They were well versed in the Mosaic Law as well as in the minutiae of Jewish tradition. (Matthew 15:1, 2; 23:2) They took pride in meticulously following many religious rituals. The Pharisees behaved as if they were superior to others simply because of their intellectual achievements and religious status. They expressed their pious and contemptuous attitude by saying: "This crowd that does not know the Law are accursed people."-John 7:49.

The Pharisees even had a denigratory term for non-Pharisees. The Hebrew term 'am ha·´a'rets was originally used in a positive way to designate regular members of society. But in time the arrogant religious leaders of Judah changed the sense of 'am ha·´a'rets to one of opprobrium. Other groups, including professed Christians, have used terms such as "pagan" and "heathen" in a derogatory way to designate people with religious beliefs different from theirs.

How, though, did the first-century Christians view those who had not embraced Christianity? Jesus' disciples were admonished to treat unbelievers "with mildness" and "deep respect." (2 Timothy 2:25; 1 Peter 3:15) The apostle Paul set a good example in this regard. He was approachable, not arrogant. Instead of lifting himself above others, he was humble and upbuilding. (1 Corinthians 9:22, 23) In his inspired letter to Titus, Paul gives the admonition "to speak injuriously of no one, not to be belligerent, to be reasonable, exhibiting all mildness toward all men."-Titus 3:2.

In the Bible the term "unbeliever" is at times used to designate non-Christians. However, there is no evidence that the word "unbeliever" was used as an official designation or label. Certainly, it was not used to belittle or denigrate non-Christians, as this would be contrary to Bible principles. (Proverbs 24:9) Jehovah's Witnesses today avoid being harsh or arrogant toward unbelievers. They consider it rude to label non-Witness relatives or neighbors with derogatory terms. They follow Bible counsel, which states: "A slave of the Lord . . . needs to be gentle toward all."-2 Timothy 2:24.

"Work What Is Good Toward All"

It is vital to recognize the dangers of intimacy with the world, especially with those who show gross disrespect for godly standards. (Compare 1 Corinthians 15:33.) Yet, when the Bible counsels to "work what is good toward all," the word "all" includes those who do not share Christian beliefs. (Galatians 6:10) Evidently, under some circumstances first-century Christians shared meals with unbelievers. (1 Corinthians 10:27) Hence, today Christians treat unbelievers in a balanced way, viewing them as their fellowmen.-Matthew 22:39.

It would be wrong to assume that a person is indecent or immoral simply because he is not acquainted with Bible truths. Circumstances and people vary. Hence, each Christian must decide to what degree he will regulate his contact with unbelievers. However, it would be unnecessary and unscriptural for a Christian to isolate himself physically as anchorites did or to feel superior as the Pharisees did.

dungbeetle...cleaning up the crap.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Thirdson and Dungbeetle,

excellent post and very good quotes.

Sometimes reminders of this kind will really - awake -

people and maybe , they will think a bit ...deeper!

Thanks, and greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    *** g98 6/22 30 From Our Readers ***
    No Part of the World I just loved the article “The Bible’s Viewpoint: ‘No Part of the World’—What Does It Mean?” (September 8, 1997) After studying it, I decided to stop using the expression “worldling” to describe non-Christians. After all, 30 years ago, I myself was not yet a Christian. If the person who first introduced me to the Bible had taken a supercilious attitude, then I might never have wanted to speak with a Witness again!
    B. G., United States

Typical 'Tower tactic - use a patsy letter to condemn the word rather than admit that they were the ones who coined it in the first place! Another example of blaming the R&F for following their example. Despicable!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

What's the bet that the person who supposedly sent this letter, BG, is actually GB spelt backwards? LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit