Has anyone been a victim of stalking for being a WT dissident?

by FuzzyPaul 17 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

FuzzyPaul, welcome. Some may find your post paranoid. I certainly don't.

I wish I could offer some advice, but I can't. All I can do is confirm that back in the late 80s, elders in Florida were stalking people. Here's what I know.

1987, my ex-boyfriend married a woman he'd just met during our breakup, and moved overnite to FL. He did not tell his own parents, let alone the JW brother who employed him, or the other JW brother he studied with. Just vanished. It was a very messy breakup and I ended up leaving the only congregation I had known since age 4. He was escaping his own wrongdoing (sexually harassing an older sister who had just been reinstated). Everyone believed him that I was an evil fornicator and this newly reinstated sister "came on to him." There was an additional scandal involving a prominent elder's daughter that was covered over because of her dad's status. All his lies were piling up and there was a distinctive odor in the air, so he fled South with this "worldly" woman he barely knew.

His wife basically married him so she could stay in the U.S. He basically married her to avoid homelessness. Not a good foundation. Throughout our own harrowing relationship, he accused me repeatedly of cheating and watched me like a hawk. I was allowed no friends, even JWs. He once hid behind a door so he could "monitor my unclean activities with my brother." We were at our parent's dining table looking at pictures in a Reader's Digest geography book, for crying out loud! He accused us of incest. He had a scary fascination with the movie "Rambo." Watched it on videotape, over and over until the tape was worn out. Total nutjob, and a died-in-the-wool stalker.

Well, he decided pretty quickly he needed to get out of the flimflam marriage (he went through people like Kleenex). He convinced the brothers in FL that his wife was cheating on him (he had experience with this by now), and they agreed to help him get the evidence he needed for a scriptural divorce. Please note, he was still studying, an "approved associate," just in from NJ. She was not a JW or studying.

Two elders (he explained there had to be two or more witnesses, men in good standing) followed the wife to and from work. They followed her to a female friend's house, and to her relatives', and waited outside in a car with a camera. This went on for awhile. Finally they told him they had no evidence, so he'd have to find another way out of the marriage. He would have to prove that she was a danger to him spiritually, because he was "yoked to an unbeliever."

This is how the spirit-appointed elders assist people toward Christian baptism? I was shocked out of my shoes. It was the first I learned of the "two witness" rule, from him.

How do I possibly know all this? Because the creep kept on writing and calling me the whole time! He assured me it was okay to write because "I have a P.O. Box my wife doesn't know about and only I have the key." He would call me when she wasn't home. Way too much info. I felt so sorry for the wife. I was APPALLED at the elders. Who would have thought they went around spying on "worldly" people for unbaptized people? Was that even legal? Who did they think they were?

Psychologically, he never accepted the fact that we were through and his marriage was valid. He told me he still "owned me" in Jehovah's eyes, and that since he got married in a civil ceremony, Jehovah wouldn't recognize the wedding. Jehovah allowed him to make this mistake so he could see I was the right one. That the elders were spying for him was THE PROOF of Jehovah's blessing. Soon, we could get baptized together, then marry like we were supposed to. La la la... CRAZY... la la la.

I made it clear I would have nothing to do with a married man on general principle, him or anyone else, yet *especially* him. Period. I had washed my hands of him. Now I was being stalked again. I told him to cease all contact. I threatened I'd get the police involved if I had to. I had all his letters, would put a trace on the phone. Contact the elders here, to contact the elders there, to prove to them that HE was the spouse who was less than faithful. He finally relented and slithered away.

That was how I learned about elders performing private investigation services. That they would even take the time away from the congregation, on behalf of an unbaptized stranger's false allegations, is disgraceful. Had they called up north to the congregation where his publisher's card was issued, they should have learned the guy was a looney tune who had a poor history with at least three JW sisters. Instead of shepherding the flock in their care, they were lead on a wild goose chase over an innocent non-JW woman who's life was none of their damn meddling business. Yet somehow I believe they liked playing along with Mr. Rambo's escapades.

~Sue

• Mary
    Mary

I friend of mine was briefly stalked by the local elders when he and his wife split up. They were both inactive and hadn't gone to the KH in about 3 years, but my friend's brother (a die-hard Dub) informed the local elders that he was "seeing a worldly girl" (gasp!). Anyway, two elders sat outside his house for a couple of hours one night. He could see them clearly and thought "what a bunch of assholes". He took a couple of boxes of stuff that was his wife's, put it in his car and drove it over to his brother in law's house. The elders followed, obviously hoping to catch him in the act of visiting a girl at night. He walks right up to their car, banged on the window and say "...What the f*ck do you think you're doing?" After sputtering and spewing, they took off like a bat out of hell.

Incredibly, the morons tried the same thing a few nights later. So my friend simply phoned the police and told them that he was being stalked by people from his former church and gave his address. The cops came up, knocked on their car window, said something and they left, never to return. I'm not sure what the laws are in the States, but up here in Canada, it's illegal to stalk someone unless you're law enforcement, or a licensed P.I. You can be charged.

My advice to anyone who thinks they're being stalked by anyone from the Hall? Phone the police. If you see them sitting outside your home, or following you on foot---phone the cops. One phonecall is usually all it takes to get these self-righteous fools off your back.

• M.J.
    M.J.

A pretty reliable ex-JW source has told me he has been stalked, harassed, and even has received death threats.

• Honesty
    Honesty

My ex and an elder staked out her ex-husband's home for almost a month every night until they were able to use the "two witness" rule to get him DF'd for immorality so she would be free to remarry.

I turned in a tag number of a car that I noticed parked on my street late at night with two people in it to the local Sherriff's Dept. that just so happened to be registered to one of my JW ex-SIL's car. This was during my divorce proceedings against my ex. The only issue they should have been concerned with is that if I had known whose car it belonged to I would have approached the occupants and attempted to shipwreck their faith in the Watchtower Society.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

I have had my tires slashed and other felony acts of vandalism,obscene phone calls and they use to follow me around town public library post office.

NO TRESPASSING SIGNS
    Watch new special about stalkers UPDATED

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

harassment
    order
    come and get it

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board!

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME