What is your favorite Bible Translation?

by Lo-ru-hamah 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Terry,

Sometimes I'm amazed at your intellectual self-indulgence.

You were talking about Bible translation and whether there is a Bible to translate in the first place (I'm making your initial thesis look slightly better than it did, pardon me).

The question was not whether the Bible is worth translating. Nor whether it is historically true, factual, inerrant, divinely inspired, etc.

The question was whether there is a text to translate. Whether this text is good or bad, history or fiction, opinion or revelation, is simply irrelevant to that issue.

What I said about Plato or Aristotle was (obviously enough) not from the standpoint of contents, but of textual transmission. I could have taken Homer, Hesiod, Eschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, Aristophanes or Menander instead. The point being, all are available only in copies of copies with many variant readings. All require textual criticism upstream of translation.

Of course you can question the methodology of textual criticism -- but you'll have to do that for all ancient works.

From a more philosophical standpoint you might also wonder if any translation (of any text, ancient or modern) is possible at all, arguing that the translation of any work is actually another work. You didn't venture into that.

Now if you accept the common working standards for the translation of ancient works, you have strictly no basis to deny the equal validity of Bible translation.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I don't have much experience with different Bible translations, but I have been using the Jewish Publications Society's Tanakh (pocket edition), and I find it more satisfactory than the New World Translation.

I am no bibliolator, however. I know that the Bible is a man made product, copies of copies, translations of translations. I am aware of translator's fraud that exists in all current Bibles. Despite it being a form of pious fraud, it is fraud nonetheless. For example, one of my biggest complaints is in the translation of the word elohim which means "gods" (plural) as opposed to "god" (singular). The tradition of professional translators is to translate this plural noun into the singular noun "god" wherever it is supposed to be used to represent "The God" of the "Hebrews", this despite the fact that this plural noun may also be the subject of a plural verb. Monotheism is now retroactively enforced upon the polytheistic patriarchs and early Israelites. I don't doubt that there is much scholarship that claims to refute this opinion of mine and others. Still, to me, it makes more sense to read the first chapter of Genesis using "the gods" instead of "God", since they are obviously existing in plural as represented by the expression "let us make".

The Bible is a fine book as long as you make no claims of eternal salvation or damnation based upon it's teachings.

Dave

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

PD,

For example, one of my biggest complaints is in the translation of the word elohim which means "gods" (plural) as opposed to "god" (singular).

Not so simple: in Biblical Hebrew the formal plural 'elohim can mean either"gods" (real plural) or "god" (real singular); in the latter case, it can apply to any individual god, not only Yhwh.

When a verb or adjective agrees in number with 'elohim, it constitutes material evidence whether "god" or "gods" is meant. In Genesis 1:1 for instance the verb br' is in the singular, which warrants the translation "god".

A bigger problem imo on the monotheistic/polytheistic border is the use of the capital to "God," which artificially imposes monotheistic implications where they are not necessary or likely. For instance, "Yhwh our God" vs. "Chemosh your god" (both cases of a real-singular 'elohim, btw) in Judges 11:24. The expressions are strictly parallel in Hebrew but the introduction of a capital for just one "god" creates an artificial dissymmetry.

The issue is complex because monotheism has influenced at least the final redaction of almost all OT texts, so that older polytheistic expressions only appear in micro-contexts (in what seems to be "slips" like Genesis 1:26 which you quoted). The real solution would be to either never or always write "god" with a capital, but there religious tradition and common spelling usage step in...

• uninformed
    uninformed

Good Topic and posts!

I like the New English Bible and use it fairly often. Even when I was a Witless, I used it in talks and stuff.

I also like the fact that the American Standard of 1907 (I think) had the name of Jehovah thousands of time in the Hebrew text.

Course the WT jerks always say that they are the ones that restored the divine Name to the Bible. (1950) Little late.

But like a duck, I believed in all that quackery.

Brant

• inlove
    inlove

I have been reading many different bibles lately ( oh guess why, been doing a bible study, to learn more about the "truth".) So in trying to understand the NWT I have found that the Young's Literal Translation, most correctly translates Greek. Check it out and see what you think.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I acutally enjoyed the way the NWT was worded the most.

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

Thank you all for your insight. It has been very helpful.

Narkissos, do you still live in France? I lived there for a month about 13 years ago, about 25 kilometers outside of Geneva, Switzerland. Went to a French congo there in Thonon. Absolutely beautiful country. Wish I was still there.

Loruhamah

• Death to the Pixies
    Death to the Pixies

1.) New World Translation

2.) New American Bible (Catholic Bibles are better than Evangelical bibles in my opinion)

3.)Jerusalem Bible (Find "Yahweh" unique)

4.)Goodspeed American Translation

5.) New KJ Interlinear

• Death to the Pixies
    Death to the Pixies
    Course the WT jerks always say that they are the ones that restored the divine Name to the Bible. (1950) Little late.

That is a dumb comment, the Jws have always spoken well of the American Standard and it's use of the DN. Have you read the New American Standard?

• mouthy
    mouthy

1.) New World Translation

SURELY YOUR KIDDING!!!!It is a distorted version

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit