What is the nature of addiction?

by katiekitten 34 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

Because I consider myself compulsive, I know that addictions are prone in my life. I often think I am a sex addict, but I like that one. In reality, I think I am addicted to control and it bothers me when I am not in control. I also think I am addicted to certain patterns in life, that when they do not happen, I get irritated too.

• Terry
    Terry
    Because I consider myself compulsive, I know that addictions are prone in my life. I often think I am a sex addict, but I like that one. In reality, I think I am addicted to control and it bothers me when I am not in control. I also think I am addicted to certain patterns in life, that when they do not happen, I get irritated too.

Sex is a natural appetite and not an addiction.

Sex, to be enjoyed, means losing control for a brief time. Rather interesting you mention control as an issue. There is a disparity here, wouldn't you say?

Frustration of our natural desires is a commonplace happening. It doesn't mean the thing frustrated is an addiction.

An addiction takes over your life and destroys it by pushing itself into focus of ONLY and not ALSO.

An addiction makes you lie, cheat and steal; betray friends and loved ones as it consumes you.

You are no where near an addiction.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

By your own definition, sex can become an addiction for some.

People have done what you have outlines.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Theft, in essence.

Good ones Terry but I liked this one. Soul murdering indeed!

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I killed a thread on addiction with this post:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/20/112275/1963085/post.ashx#1963085

I thought Terry's description was apt:

An addiction takes over your life and destroys it by pushing itself into focus of ONLY and not ALSO.

An addiction makes you lie, cheat and steal; betray friends and loved ones as it consumes you.

Is that what liking chocolate does to you?

• Terry
    Terry
    By your own definition, sex can become an addiction for some.

People have done what you have outlines.

I'm out of touch, then. I've been celibate for a year now. So, what do I know?

• Terry
    Terry

I thought Terry's description was apt:

Is that what liking chocolate does to you?

The quickest way to destroy a word is to stretch the definition to include anything.

The word "spiritual" for example, means nothing.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    "Now, the term has branched out to embrace drinking, gambling, shopping, sex, eating, obsessive compulsive disorder, computer gaming, television watching and internet use. The list expands constantly, serviced and encouraged, says Peele, by a growing and hungry treatment and therapy industry."

"What frustrates Peele is the way the word addiction is returning to its 17th-century usage, when it meant "habitual" (as in "he's addicted to his sherry")."

Great quote Fe203Girl.

What I've seen (and experienced myself) is it's easier (people tend to take the easy way) to say "I'm addicted" as if you can't help it, than to admit you have a character flaw and fix it. The fix becomes the substance and the problem rather than the cure. Lack of interspection = true personal weakness = addiction.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

KK, I can only relate my own experience with what I thought at the time was an addiction to alcohol. It was in pre-borg years when I was an exotic dancer. In the old days they used to call us "B" girls or "Bar girls."

As a dancer ("B" girl), I was required to sit with customers and hustle fake champagne by the gallon for a percentage of the price as my salary, putting up with the customers' BS, etc. In order to continue to do this night after night, I began taking a half pint of Bacardi to work with me and I kept it in my locker to keep me mellow and tolerant so I could do my job. It wasn't long till I had worked my way all the way up to a quart of Rum a night. The day I had to pour myself an 8 ounce glass of Bacardi in order to steady my hands so I could apply makeup and get ready for work, I realized I was going to have to quit my job so I could quit the rum. It had begun to control me, instead of the other way around. I did quit the work in nightclubs and began working in clerical positions and as an escrow officer. Still for a few years afterwards, I would often go out to clubs and drink too much, but I was also having occasional blackouts and wouldn't even know how I had driven my car home or where I had been when I woke up the next day. I finally quit going to the clubs after a few of those blackouts because they scared me. Since that time, I've kept alcohol on hand at home, but I'm not even tempted to have a drink, unless it's with company (rarely) or the sometimes special occasion or holiday.

I thought for a long time that I could be classified as an alcoholic. After thinking about it over the years, I realize that's not true. My reason for drinking was a need to do a job that I couldn't do unless I used drugs or alcohol and alcohol, which to me, was merely a "tool" and was the lesser evil. However, I do realize that I had all the symptoms of alcoholism (except DT's) which I acquired because of excessive use of alcohol. I think the physical symptoms that I manifested were simply from alcohol abuse as a Habit. In the life that I made for myself and my family after leaving the club work, I had no need to use that "tool" anymore and could take it or leave it.

Now, though.....as a precaution.....on the rare occasion that I do have an alcoholic beverage, I strictly limit myself to two drinks only. Sometimes a year or two go by before a special occasion presents itself now. :)

Frannie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Habits, cravings and addictions, all on a scale of human behaviour (sociological, psychological and physiological).

I have a strange addiction to sleeping some every night, and eating every day. Can't seem to throw it. Breathing is the real bugbear, especially when I want to Scuba dive for longer that the air in my cylinders will permit! It's a hard life

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit