grandparents day in latest Awake!

by becca1 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mary
    Mary
    I think we need an "APOSTATE DAY", since we have the entire globe represented here on JWD, it would be a truly global event....

I concur.....what day was Armageddon supposed to come in '75? Was it October 15th? (unofficially of course). We could choose that day as Apostate Day, just as an "in your face" to the WTS.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

They make Jah out to be a sulky, jealous tyrant, sounds like my teenage son.........

• TheListener
    TheListener

As far as anniversaries, bridal showers, baby showers, etc. I have always asked the same question: If you're only honoring God's institution of marriage, birth, etc - who gets the gifts?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

What I find amazing now is the arbitrary nature, and the use of the discussion to further impose restrictions, while saying there aren't any.

Note the quote Blondie posted;

*** w98 10/15 p. 30 Questions From Readers ***

It thus would not be strange that a couple might on their wedding anniversary take time to reflect on the joyfulness of that event and on their resolve to work for success as a couple. Whether they focus on this happy occasion in private, just as a couple, or they have a few relatives or close friends with them would be for them to decide. The occasion should not become a mere excuse for a large social gathering. On this occasion Christians would want to be guided by the principles that apply every day of their lives. So whether one takes note of a wedding anniversary or not is a personal matter.—Romans 13:13, 14.

While the last statement is; " So whether one takes note of a wedding anniversary or not is a personal matter. ", the preceeding information still sets guidelines that dyed-in-the-wool Witnesses will take as law;" Whether they focus on this happy occasion in private, just as a couple, or they have a few relatives or close friends with them would be for them to decide. The occasion should not become a mere excuse for a large social gathering. " So, while allowing it a personal matter, they restrict it nonetheless. Can you imagine the happy couple sitting around deciding what fits the Society's rules? They are permitted to have a celebration by themselves, or with a few relatives or friends, but not have a large social gathering, the implication being that there is something sinful in the idea of a large gathering.

The next statement fixes it subliminally as a violation of'principles that apply every day of their lives', to apparently consider a large gathering as appropriate. Mind control at it's finest!

As far as Grandparents Day is concerned - I never heard of it myself until after I left the organization. I am sure it would have been condemned if anyone brought it up in conversation as 'undue honor of humans, bordering on worship'.

Jeff

• praiseband
    praiseband

What I, as a non-JW mom, find especially hurtful is that while we are celebrating a holiday, my son and his wife, who is JW, who are supposedly not celebrating a holiday are spending the day with her family and friends from her congregation. They eat, play games, etc and basically have a party. The reality is, they ARE celebrating a holiday! If they really went about their day as if it were any other weekday that would be a different story, but they don't. My son is beginning to see the falseness of it all.

Praiseband

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit