grandparents day in latest Awake!

by becca1 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• becca1
    becca1

In the new Awake! there is a short experience of a young sister who said: "we don't celebrate granparents day". What is the basis for this conclusion? What is the pagan background for this day? Since it's in print, though quoting an individual, is it now JW dogma? Where will the stripping of all things normal end?

• Clam
    Clam

I suppose it's like Mothers Day, in so far that because you'd be joining worldly people in celebrating something, then by twisted Watchtower definition you'd be "part of this system of things". These celebration days are inventions of the greetings card manufacturers, not pagan to my knowledge. Can a JW work in or have anything to do with a greetings card company by the way?

• dobbie
    dobbie

When i asked why jws couldn't celebrate fathers day although it hasn't got 'pagan' origins, i was told its because they don't follow man made traditions and also it's seen as glorifying that person for the day(?!) in place of God!(I will be definately doing it next year!), so maybe grandparents day is viewed similarly by them.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I was told the reason we dont celebrate fathers, Mothers, grandparents day is because it is giving honer to someone other than Jehovahs! DAH!!!! Well the new awake will ease my JW' daughters conscious ---- she never bothers with me....Well done EVIL SLAVE>>>>( WT)

• juni
    juni

Grandparents' Day involves usually both grandparents. How does this differ from celebrating a wedding anniversary? They split hairs again.

I know JWs will say that an anniversary celebrates that COUPLE'S MARRIAGE and that's all right because not one individual is being "exalted" and it is an acceptable occasion.

Actually a lot of "holidays" or observances are merely "Hallmark moments" to sell greeting cards. But putting that aside, it is my opinion that they stress the reason for the occasion.

And showing appreciation to grandparents is not acceptable. Make sense? NO. Just another way of controlling what we do w/our families.

Juni

• hambeak
    hambeak

Juni you are right splitting hairs just another form of control. I can't believe I am now speaking out against the wts and the borg

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.grandparents-day.com/history.htm

This started in 1978.

http://www.grandparents-day.com/short_ver.htm

I can only say that the WTS might reason that it is giving undue honor to a human but then that could be said of celebrating wedding anniversaries.

*** w98 10/15 p. 30 Questions From Readers ***

It thus would not be strange that a couple might on their wedding anniversary take time to reflect on the joyfulness of that event and on their resolve to work for success as a couple. Whether they focus on this happy occasion in private, just as a couple, or they have a few relatives or close friends with them would be for them to decide. The occasion should not become a mere excuse for a large social gathering. On this occasion Christians would want to be guided by the principles that apply every day of their lives. So whether one takes note of a wedding anniversary or not is a personal matter.—Romans 13:13, 14.

There as been nothing on Father's Day since a 1956 Awake

FATHER’SDAY Bible view: g56 5/8 25-6

While the WTS can find a weak example of a possible "pagan" origin for Mother's day, I can't find anything for Father's Day or Grandparents Day.

What brave soul wants to call or write Bethel and find out?

Blondie

• hambeak
    hambeak

Blondie you should be a member of the governing body!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Blondie you should be a member of the governing body! She IS!!!!!! THIS body!!!!----helps us all with the answers (((((HUGS BLONDIE)

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Grandparents' Day involves usually both grandparents. How does this differ from celebrating a wedding anniversary? They split hairs again.

I know JWs will say that an anniversary celebrates that COUPLE'S MARRIAGE and that's all right because not one individual is being "exalted" and it is an acceptable occasion.

Actually a lot of "holidays" or observances are merely "Hallmark moments" to sell greeting cards. But putting that aside, it is my opinion that they stress the reason for the occasion.

And showing appreciation to grandparents is not acceptable. Make sense? NO. Just another way of controlling what we do w/our families.

Juni

Isn't it odd how we kept as borg members some traditions? Such as the rings? The marriage ring is from pagan backgrounds.

Hambeak. I think it is wonderful you are speaking out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit