Just got back from Walt Disney World...

by rwagoner 8 Replies latest social family

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

We just got back from our first trip ever to Walt Disney World.

Wife, Son 8yo, Daughter 2yo and I took the Amtrak train from Boston to Orlando and spent 6 days at Disney.

Wonderful time of year to go...warm temps, very light crowds, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and we attended a Special Halloween Party at night at the park and the kids trick or treated at Disney !!

Here is a link to our pictures - you have to register to view them but its free.

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=140023088/a=77324514/t_=77324514

Anyone else make the trip to see the mouse ? Experiences/opinions on train travel ?

• hubert
    hubert

Hi Rwagoner, Glad to hear you and your family had a great time at Disney World. We've been there twice, but quite a few years ago. Good to hear you didn't have any problems with the train, either.

We took a train trip to Virginia twice. The kids really enjoyed the train ride. It took 8 hours by train, from Providence, because (as you now know) the train stops at almost every town on the way. I can imagine it must have taken two days to reach Florida. it's fuin, though, unless you have train problems. On the way back from our second trip, we were delayed two hours in Connecticut because of a small derailment on the train ahead of us. We had to sit there for 2 extra hours, and take on all the passengers from the train ahead of us. And, because of this all the toilets were backed up, and food ran out, too. (Not a pretty site). :)

I'll check out the photos later, as my computer is getting super slow, and I don't want to slow it down any more than it is right now. It's so slow, it almosts stops. LOL !! Got to get a cleaning soon.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Hubert

• gwyneth
    gwyneth

What great pictures! I was impressed that your little girl was not scared to interact with the characters, and hugged and had her picture taken with so many. Mine would hide behind my leg!

Since I live here and my (ex) husband works for the Mouse, I have been there PLENTY of times. (Tickets were part of my divorce agreement!) The schools use the theme parks for educational field trips, so the children are always going to Sea World or Epcot. I love Epcot. Once I got into Epcot just to hear Rosemary Clooney sing. I was only there two hours, but it was worth "wasting" a ticket to see her.

I've gone and had good times, and bad. It depends on health and weather and time of year (crowds). One year, I had an abcessed wisdom tooth. Not good. One year, we stayed until the park closed and most of the people were gone, so we rode Thunder Mountain six times in a row. That was good. It was also fun when (I was married) to use his pass, which gets in 6 people at a time. If there were just two of us, we would find four more people who were in line buying tickets to come in with us for free. My sister and I would sit on the benches like queens and scout out who we though was "worthy." We tried to pick people who didn't look like they were rich. (I don't have access to THAT pass anymore, unfortunately!)

I've also done annual passes at Sea World and Universal Studios, when they run a special where you buy a ticket, and it's good for unlimited park access for the rest of the year. Disney doesn't do that. My daughter has an annual pass from Busch Gardens right now, same deal.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I took my 2 sons numerous times when they were growing up and we had a blast!!!!! We usually stayed at one of the hotels inside the Park and got a package deal, which meant we could come and go into any of the theme parks whenever. I never got tired of going......loved Epcot!!!

Glad you took your kids and had a great time. One thing for others contemplating going....there is a lot to be said for PLANNING! Read, read, read, before you go! It will save you a lot time and money!

Swalker

• moshe
    moshe

I have been to Disney World many times- we are going back for a few days around Jan 1st,too. I worked on the Epcot construction crew at Disney World, Orlando, in 1982. I helped complete the Japan and China pavillions. A couple guys on the crew walked around Epcot before it opened and helped the landscaping crew out. They scattered a whole bag of mariuana seeds around the park. I often wondered, if any of those plants made it. Disney World employees sure look like a happy bunch.

cheers,

Moshe

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Rwagoner,

Glad you had a good time, and the train ride sounds like an adventure.

Every 5 years or so, I love a Disney adventure, especially if kids are involved.

S4

• Broken Hearted
    Broken Hearted

I live 45 minutes from the mouse. Glad you enjoyed especially the nice weather, since it is very cold in Massachusetts right now. The jw guy I am dating long distnace lives in Mass trying to get him to come and enjoy some nice florida weather also. Can I ask how long it took to travel by train? I have thought about doing that myself.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

The train trip from Boston to Orlando to about 30 hours with a train change in Washington, DC

• Nowman
    Nowman

I took my 9 and 7 year there this past spring break. We stayed for 9 nine days. It was the best family trip we ever had. I loved Animal Kingdom, the new Mount Everest roller coaster was awesome! Of course, our second favorites were Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon. Oh hec, we loved it all!

Nikki

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit