Possibly overdone topic - panda world

by XU 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Asheron
    Asheron

I was always confused by the paradise concept "free from pain". If there was no pain what would you feel if you put your hand in a fire? Pleasure? Pain is a necessary part of the human survival mechanism. Ouch keeps us out of the fire and alive.

I could never get through the pictures of the child petting the lion and the one of the lion and lamb together. What would the lion eat if not meat? Grass? If all critters on the world ate grass there would not be enough to feed everything let alone make the world look like a golf course.

Nothing made sense.

Asheron

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

Neither I nor my family ever really thought about it in the strict sense.

We just assumed we'd get that big mansion wherever. Like, driving out in service, it's constant for people to say "Ooh! I want that house in the new system!" or "That church will make a good Kingdom Hall in the new system."

We never thought about having to bury litterally BILLIONS of dead people. Babies, men, women, and worst of all, cute girls.

I always "knew" I'd have lot's of exotic animals, and always be happy. And for a brief period (I began to realize it was a lie right after the time I started to like girls ^^), living forever with that special someone.

I never knew if I'd have children, what with over population and all. But of course, I rested easy with my mom's 'flawless' assessment: "There is enough land for 20 billion people to live off of. That means all those resurected, and us will have enough food in the new system."

Of course, as I now know, we have ALREADY reached the population limit of the planet.

• XU
    XU

Yeah, the whole thing didn't really make any sense. My fantasies were all created before the age of 10. My parents got really tired of me asking about what it was going to be like, population, marriage, transportation, meetings, etc. I wonder if that's something we have in common. Like it all just didn't really jive with our brains. But I wonder, whose brains can live with it? The "cognitive dissonance" great crowd? It seems like if it really is worth living and dying for, it has to be pretty real to us. Were we destined to break free? Thanks for the posts.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I knew I didn't really WANT a house in the country, as is always depicted. And I figured some others must feel that way too. So I assumed there would be cities with huge apartment buildings, as well as rural areas with houses and land. Space was gonna get a little tight, after all, with all the billions of folks to be resurrected.

I also assumed there WOULD be money, since it's such a convenient way to trade. I mentioned this to a brother once and he said, "Why trade? Why not just give what you have?" Idiot.

I wondered about no-fault accidents. No matter how careful you are, things are going to go wrong. Freak accidents are one-time things, you can't really plan for them or protect against them. I assumed Jehovah would step in just before someone was hurt and save them. (He can't do it now because... well, because he just can't. Don't ask again or I'll disfellowship you!)

I assumed we would continue to look into space travel. Either Jehovah was going to "fix" the sun, or it was going to die someday and we'd need to go live somewhere else. Assuming he wasn't going to fix it, space travel was something we were gonna need to get good at.

I was also one of those that thought there WOULD be museums of "this old world", despite the teaching that "the old things will be forgotten". I thought we'd all be too curious to let it all fade away. It's human history, after all, and I think we'd want to study it.

I didn't think living forever sounded boring, and I still don't. I'd be all about living forever in paradise. I'd like to ride the Invisible Pink Unicorn, too.

And of course I thought I'd get to play with lions and tigers and bears -- oh my, what a gullible fool.

Dave of the "less-gullible fool" class

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

I can't remember, but were we supposed to return to our unashamed nekidness?

• buriram
    buriram

This may sound stupid but space travel was a big dream for me as well in the N/S but I wanted to own an intergalactic burger bar!

The 2 other images i thought about all the time was a farm style ranch like on Little House on the Prairie (sic) and also in the film the Time Machine when he goes thousands of years into the future all sitting around eating fruit in a brain dead kinda way.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I just wanted to be alive when dead people were walking everywhere. You know, ressurrected. That was the greatest draw for me. Sure, no war blah blah blah, but the dead arise again? Very attractive.

Now I know better.

The dead are waiting for us to join them and not the other way around.

alt

W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit