create friendships than build walls and have enemies."
      —Richard Matos

Please post your commentary regarding
    this topic for a lively discussion.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

I'm not precisely sure if you have certain topics in mind that people argue about, but in a general sense, this board is very mild compared to most internet discussion boards, It is well modded and threads get clamped down when they should so that things don't get too out of hand.

• XU
    XU

I haven't really seen what you post of. But, I did notice a battle going on over semantics on a ufo thread. It seemed one person would ask a question and then go on a tirade over a response given because it wasn't in the language or perspective from that person. does that make sense? but, whatever the motivations, it did feel violent to my psyche just reading it. as a dub, i was so so clever and mean and i was rewarded for it. i have learned that kindness is strength and wisdom together, not being naive and dumb. I like reading warm fuzzy posts. I also like reading frustrated posts. But mean, angry posts aren't doing me any good.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Rich,

I posted last year and quit the board after a while. Mostly because I got bored and also because there were quite a few posters who felt they were in competition with you if you posted something - as though they had to out-do you. There was much hi-jacking of people's threads. Some posters tried to project an "intellectual snob" type of attitude and others got cross with anybody who showed the slightest belief in the bible.

This is not a pissing contest and nobody is here to win a Pulitzer prize (not me, anyway). Everybody's experiences are unique to that person and all are valid. Some may have had similar experiences and others may have had different ones. The problem arises when "discussion" turns into "attack".

Some topics are more inflamatory than others and probably press people's buttons in certain areas.

LHG

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Personally, speaking, when an individual has an
    "ax to grind" who does it really hurt?

It hurts the individual far more than the person they have the grudge against. They may not even be aware of the grudgebearers feelings anyway.

Why attack, insult, or become critical of someone
    who has undergone the same types of obstacles
    and circumstances as you have?

I can't think of a reason why anyone would want to do this. Most of us on this forum are here for the same reason - to get over having been a jw. Anger should be directed at the wts, not fellow posters.

• hambeak
    hambeak

When one is angry and I believe there are different levels of anger, one can not always rationally look at the cause of the anger until they distance themself from the source of it and then see what caused it and then avoid it. This is not alway true either because of deep emotions and bonds of a lifetime are involved, as well as beliefs held to be true and finding out they are not can cause a real sence of loss and abandonment. And can then cause the cycle of anger to be repeated and bitterness which can affect the way we respond to others and make one ultrasensitive.

• Ri
    Ri

There was much hi-jacking of people's threads. Some posters tried to project an "intellectual snob" type of attitude and others got cross with anybody who showed the slightest belief in the bible.

LHG, From a long time lurker as I be, that is the way I see also. One smarty pants tries to out smart the other.

• Carmel
    Carmel

I've rarely detected anger toward other posters for many months.. of course I'm not the sharpest dart on the dart board. I have noticed that there are those that are quick to belittle "believers" perhaps most clearly exemplified when discussions about there being design in the universe and an intelligence behind that design. Subjects of that nature, though I have my own beliefs, are rarely endowed with light, just heat.

carmel

• hubert
    hubert

Wanderer, it sounds like you've been hurt by someone on this board.

Don't let it bother you. We've all been through it. Everyone has a different personality and sooner or later, you will rub someone the wrong way. Just ignore it.

Most people on this forum are not like that, and the others will come around once they get to know you.

(I love Dion and the Belmonts)

Cheers....Hubert

• mouthy
    mouthy

Wanderer, it sounds like you've been hurt by someone on this board.

Oh I do hope it wasnt ME!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit