JW's and the Approved spiritual music

by gordon d 10 Replies latest jw friends

• gordon d
    gordon d

I know that no song other than one of those toe-tappin' hits that are FDS approved will ever be sung at a KH but who here has found any (biblically accurate) up-lifting songs?

One of my most favorite is by Casting Crowns, entitled "Who am I"

Here's the link, if you haven't heard it....

[url]http://witsgoeilh.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/castingcrownswhoami.mp3[/url]

• gordon d
    gordon d

Not sure why the links won't work?????
    Here's the address without the url-tags to copy and paste.....

Please listen to it... it's really moving for a song written by some worldly person!

http://witsgoeilh.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/castingcrownswhoami.mp3

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Here's some:

One Step Ahead Of The Devil - Blue Oyster Cult
    In League With Satan - Venom
    Run With The Devil - Girlschool
    Goddam Devil - Ugly Kid Joe
    Devil's Tower - Angelwitch
    Hells Bells - AC/DC
    Devil With A Black Dress On - Jack Off Jill

• seek2find
    seek2find

Hey Gordon, Glad to see another Casting Crowns fan here. I also like the song "who am I". I went to Walmart last week and bought the cd/dvd of theirs called lifesong live, and I beleive that was the best 14 dollars I ever spent. The song and video to "does anybody here her" is great. seek2find

• gordon d
    gordon d

Hey seek... I haven't bought any music in a long time but I think I will cast my vote (financially) for Casting Crowns and maybe Chris Mullins (spelling?).... I love his "How Great is Our God" except for that one referrence to the God Head.

I handle all media, graphics, etc... for our congregation and recently put together a video with images from "The Passion" to be played behind a vocalist (she was a professional for years) who sang a slightly tweaked version of "Because You Loved Me" VERY, VERY, Powerful! I'm a 40 year old, 235 pound 6'plus, ex-DCI/Narcotics officer and I had tears welling up.

What a contrast! I never had anything other than phlegm "well up" with the society's music!

• seek2find
    seek2find

Hey Gordon, I think you may mean Rich Mullins. His song "Sometimes by Step" was my first introduction to Christian Music, I felt like God had me hear that song one morning right after a prayer I had said. That was the most spiritual moment I ever had. I was even more impresed when I read his life story. He was killed in a wreck in the late 90's. What a loss. seek2find

• gordon d
    gordon d

My bad... I meant Chris Tomlin.

Here's a link to the Internet simulcast of KSBJ in Houston....
    http://www.godlistens.com/

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I once went to a JW wedding with dancing and at the reception hall they played "Proud Mary". Wonder if the JW band was thereafter banned.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Approved music? How about "the devil went down Georgia?" - Just kidding........LOL

Now that I got your attention, heres a few I really like;

Carry you - by Amy Grant - this song is about Jesus and is beautiful.

Rock of Ages - duet by Amy Grant and Vince Gill

He Reigns - Kirk Franklin - this is a hip hop beat version of Our God is an Awesome God. - my kids love this one! Lilly

• Satanus
    Satanus

For me, spiritual doesn't equal christian, necessarily. Canon by pachelbel, led zep the battle of evermore, accross the universe (the psychedelic version) by the beatles.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit