My brother called

by AnonyMouse 13 Replies latest jw friends

• skyking
    skyking

I wish I was smart enough at such an early age to see the Borg as it is. Keep your head clear and high and far beyond the borg.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Hey, theres nothing wrong with being bright kid!

You know what they say - Hire a teenager while they still know everything!

• Balsam
    Balsam

Anonymouse,

Honey your Mom is fully submerged in a cult mentality and does not think for herself. A suggestion I have, as a Mom who left first and helped my son's to leave the cult, is to get her reasoning on the need to believe in so called holy books. The Bible, The Kuran, other so called holy books all claim to be divine inspired. What absolute proof is there that any are divinely inspired other than the writers themselves claim divine inspiration as they wrote them. If your neighbor came to you telling you God was speaking to him and he was writting down the message would you believe him? Would you create a religion from you neighbors divinely inspired written word????? That is what the bible writers did, all of them. And each one wrote their concept of their God and some of it varies from book to book thus the inconsistencies.

Let's take the Apostle Paul, he never met Jesus only heard stories of him. He has a spiritual experience while traveling with other people who did not experience anything he did. He is blind and believe's that Jesus spoke to him directly and told his story to Christians he came into contact with thereafter. Did all Christians believe him? We don't know because only his writing survived. We do know from the book of Acts and his contact with the Apostles that they viewed him with some doubt and didn't like his idea of taking the Jewish religion to Gentiles and told him so. We have his own words as to how he argued with apostle Peter and he made it look like he won the argument. But how do we know that Peter fully supported it from Paul's words? We don't. Apostle Paul was a self appointed Apostle, he was never appointed by the followers of Jesus. The bible clearly shows this also.

Your Mom may be as dense and dumb as a box of rocks, so am I if you heard my sons talk about me. But when I started looking and reading the bible and really asking some questions about the early Christian beginnings some serious flaws in JW thinking became apparent. Don't treat your Mom as though she is stupid, be patient in reasoning with her. Your smart take your time and have a rational discussion as much as you can. Bring up questions she can think about a few days at a time don't bury her in too much.

Balsam

• jgnat
    jgnat
    And, if that comment is targetted at me...I was 6 at the time. I was scared and hiding, and didn't understand what was happening. And my brother could have killed me because I was so much smaller. There is a gap in our ages, he's in his late twenties, and I'm 16.

AnonyMouse, that was the most level-headed and sensible thing I could have imagined you saying. You can't take the blame for what you were powerless to change.

I like how you didn't brush your mom off, even if she isn't the brightest bulb in the box. You answered all her questions, even as you knew she wouldn't "get it". My mom, too, was treated badly simply for having less sense. Looking back, I don't think we were any better for berating her. Mom has her good points, too. She never forgets a holiday. She keeps loving her children, even when they treat her badly.

Soon enough, you will be on your own. You can set up your life the way you please. And your integrity will be intact.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit