Afghan Women under Taliban

by Tina 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Julie
    Julie

Greetings to all:

Rex, you first since we are becoming so "close"...

:Just think, if those terrible Crusaders had completely vanquished Islam, your sisters would not be relegated to second class status.

Ah yes, if only the Christians could have been more effecient at killing others! Well what can we do but kick ourselves now? I think you should be committed to a hospital you maniac.

Six-of-nine:

Friend, you waste your time with Shelby. She is even more slippery, dishonest and irrational than Rex. Toss in "delusional" and there you have it--the biggest waste of time known to man; trying to reason with Shelby.

To All--

Indead that special on life in Afghanistan was aired last night on CNN at 11 pm. It will air again tonight at 7 pm. I urge anyone who can to watch it. It is very powerful and well worth watching. It is called Beneath the Veil; Undercover in Afghanistan.

Always horrified by man's inhumanity to (wo)man--

Julie

• Tina
    Tina

Well path
    RAWA has been around for quite a while. This didnt recently pop up as an issue. RAWA has protested at the WHite House etc years ago. How does this single out Afghanistan now? Many organizations in the past publicly decried the regime. Amnesty Intl and others.
    If you weren't aware of this before it's easy how you would think this is justification for collateral damage now.
    I disagree with your defintion of terrorism and I still find it quite narrow. Actually no where in my posts have I ever advocated the killing of innocents. You see that thru your filter .
    And since when ISNT it about human rights? No one denies that other nations have a sorry history/policy regarding human rights.
    Exposing the realities of this theocratic terrorism is not hypocritical,it doesnt get more real than this. This is a situation where human rights cannot be tossed aside or separated from this issue. For any reason. What do you propose? Ignore this oppression,head in sand kinda thinking? Well just have to agree to disagree here.T

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• AGuest
    AGuest

Six, you are correct: the correct word would have been discriminate. My bad.

Path and GWEEDO, thank you tremendously. Your point... is MY point. I am at complete and utter LOSS as to how this has now become and issue of 'remove the Taliban and free Afghan women and children (and oppressed men). If the Taliban were to turn Bin Laden over TODAY... no one's gonna go in the remove anyone else... or free anyone else. They haven't done so yet, and the heinous treatment of Afghan people has been presented to the U.S. 'power brokers' for YEARS. Even celebrities have taken up that particular issue.

The U.S. wants REVENGE... NOT freedom for an oppressed people. And in SEEKING that revenge, knows FULL well that it is the innocent and oppressed that will die, people who have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the matter, who are starving AS WE SPEAK, and who might actually BE better off dying from a U.S. bullet than having the ABJECT STARVATION that is certain in their future (apparently, some think they'll be 'better off' dying... from whatever means... but how they feel it THEIR position to decide that truly baffles me...), from their current national situation to what a war will leave behind.

I am totally amazed at the lack of concern for HUMAN life that many have: "We've got to teach them a lesson, teach them that they can't just DO what they did to the U.S.!" WHO? Teach WHO? There is no 'war' against the Taliban or any other faction of the Afghan government, other than to say if they don't turn over Bin Laden there will BE a war. But missles aren't dropped soley on covert camps and government buildings. They are dropped ON HOUSES, and BUSINESSES, and SCHOOLS and IN THE STREETS.

IF the U.S. is SUCH a great intellectual 'superpower', indeed, IF some of us here are so 'intellectual', why in the WORLD can't they figure out a resolution to this matter that won't cost ONE SINGLE INNOCENT LIFE... at the hands of U.S. weapons? Why? Because they are NOT that intelligent. They are nothing more than the people who started this for their own particular brand of 'justice'.

If you slap me... and I slap a thousand people before I ever finally slap you... if I indeed DO ever slap you... how am I 'better' than you? Is that not what the 'terrorists' did, needlessly kill over 5,000 INNOCENT people due to their anger at a paltry few? And if the U.S. turns around and does the SAME EXACT THING, someone... PLEASE... tell me... HOW ARE 'WE' ANY DIFFERENT?

Hypocrisy... is hypocrisy. Some here apparently... due to their craving for the 'taste' of blood... simply cannot see that. And to me, such ones are not better then, than the 'blind' and 'evil'(?)... Taliban, Bin Laden and others like... which sees what THEY want to... when, where, how and AS it wants to.

Rally around the President, indeed. We should ALL be grieving for what HAS happened... and what may yet occur. All of it is disgusting and DESPICABLE.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• Tina
    Tina

Shel,
    I'm all for any plan that doesn't involve the killing of innocents.I have no taste or stomach for blood. If that's what you got from my posts,you're mistaken.There are many like myself who DO want freedom for oppressed peoples. Wanting freedom for these does not mean we all jump under a military umbrella. So please don't make a blanket statement about hypocrisy.Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• AGuest
    AGuest

Tina-Girl, peace to you and c'mon... you 'know' me better than that. I think those whom I addressed know who they are. If I thought you hypocritical in your position (and I don't; your making this posting and presenting the plight of the Afghan people showed ME your compassion, much more than any particular 'thirst' for blood by you...), I would have addressed you personally... and pointedly. I did not address you here, because I had previously, when I added TO what you were already trying to get folks to see. As I stated, in response to the treatment of the Afghan people, 'to top it all off, they've got U.S. missles aiming at 'em.' Since you didn't respond to that, I assumed you had got my point, as I yours. WE have no problem, dear one. Honestly.

But my statement about hypocrisy... of those for whom 'the shoe fits'... must stand.

Keep your chin up, Tina, and know that I bid you nothing but peace... and love, and that I am, STILL...

Your servant, friend, SISTER... and a slave of Christ,

Shel

• Tina
    Tina

My misunderstanding then Shel,thanks hun,luv,T

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Human rights for all is a long and painful road. It is a process that must be learned and appreciated.

America was probably one of the last free countries to abolish slavery and their policies on segregation. They still remain the last holding onto capital punishment and the mindset of racism and prejudice still lives on. These changes take time.

I just believe there are more sane ways of leading nations to see the benefits of human rights and a free society than by violating their citizen's most basic right to life. I don't believe these avenues have been fully exhausted.

The war on terrorism, war on drugs, human rights for all etc are all battles that cannot be won with violence. They are won when people change their thinking and behavior. Killing people is much easier than changing people, and that is what makes these things so difficult.

Path

• AGuest
    AGuest

Path... Amen... and amen.

May you truly have peace.

Your servant and a slave of Christ (who also tried to exact change with LOVE... rather than 'war'),

SJ

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Path, you wrote: "there are more sane ways of leading nations to see the benefits of human rights and a free society than by violating their citizen's most basic right to life. I don't believe these avenues have been fully exhausted."
    Please expound on these ways. I'm not being sarcastic, either. I'm desperate, because I'm having a real moral delimna, here. I am a HUGE proponant of peace. I'm known among my friends as a MAJOR bleeding heart liberal--and most of them are liberals. So, if there are other means that can be employed, I am very interested. I have already begun to channel some of my energies into this cause, and I personally can't see, after reading most of what I've read, liberation coming about without the overthrow of the Taliban, and I don't see the Taliban leaving quietly. But, seriously, if you have any suggestions for a peaceful resolution to the liberation of women in Afghanistan, and an end to terrorism, please share with me. I hate war. I despise killing. I believe it to be one of the last things impeding our evolution as a species; that is our use of violence to solve problems. However, we're not dealing with highly evolved beings, here (the Taliban). It reminds me of the reading I've done on the civil war. The argument from the South regarding slavery is that it would die out of its own volition soon (i.e., SEVERAL generations) as it would become no longer cost effective to run plantations on slave labor with the coming of industrialization. And many historians agree with this. However, this would have meant several more generations of slaves. That was intolerable to the people witnessing and effected by slavery. It became an emergency situation that our leaders saw no other way to solve but by violence. And I'm from the south. Most of that war was fought on the south, where most of the black population lived at that time. It was dangerous, it was bloody, it was hellish....but worth it???? I don't know. There's no easy answers here. I wish there were. Please share more of your insights. I'm tired of war, but I'm sickened by oppression.
    pax,
    Bridgette

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Hey Tina:

Just want to thank you for bringing this to our attention. Up until last night I had no idea what was going on in Afghanistan especially for the women and children. My heart just breaks for these poor people who have no real understanding of whats going on in the rest of the world....only trying to survive minute by minute.

Our little contrite sillinesses we talk about here seem so mundane to their daily plight for a scrap of food for themselves and their children. I clicked onto your link and was appalled and then watched the news show last night (to be aired tonight again at 7pm) and just sat numbed by the senseless, unbelievable atrocities that are heaped upon innocent people in the name of upholding pure religion. I'm outraged and feel totally helpless when I see these poor people just trying to find a little food for their daily sustenance.

I haven't posted much lately for personal reasons but this just overwhelmed me with such a feeling of helplessness....I just can't understand an all-powerful God allowing these attrocities to continue for so long. These men spew their religious beliefs like we should all tremble in fear of them and their god...how can they commit these unspeakable things and still claim to have such a pure religion.

Sorry to vent on so much....I just don't understand this all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit