Is manned space exploration a waste of money?

by free2beme 22 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

What really is the benefit to spending billions to get someone to Mars or beyond?

It benefits all the Nasa Scientist

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I think manned space exploration is good value.

Military spending is where the real money goes; $1 trillion a year, and 2/5th of that from the USA.

You could have 28 NASA's for the amount the US millitary gets each year; it's also 9 times higher than the Chinese, 29 times higher than all of the Axis of Evil put together and higher than Cold War expenditure despite the millitary being 2/3rd the size it was.

Oh, this excludes actual WOT costs; this is just the standard budget, LOL

Hell, we could have a really decent presense in space AND provide vaccinations and clean water to EVERYONE and still have hundreds of billions left over...

• concerbedbf
    concerbedbf

would you prefer them to send an unmanned probe to UrAnus

• carla
  • ackack
    ackack

All of our genetic eggs are in one basket. Manned space flight is the only solution to this problem.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Yes, I think manned space exploration is a waste of time. We need more woman'ed exploration. Why should they be left out? They don't have to ask for directions.

W.Once

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I think it is a waste of money even though they have their reasons why they want to do it (military strategy and/or mining?).

But who would want to live in a sterile artificial environment where any malfunction would surely kill you?

I am a Star Trek fan but I realize this is fantasy. I have no desire to live anywhere but the Earth.

LHG

• Ri
    Ri
    All of our genetic eggs are in one basket

Be careful ackack, Don't drop that basket!

• Dune
    Dune

It is, but what can you do?

They're saying that resources are depleting and that by 2050 most of the world's resources will be gone.

Eventually humankind is going to have to leave this earth and find a different place or at least try to colonize different planet.

• hubert
    hubert
    What really is the benefit to spending billions to get someone to Mars or beyond?

Who knows, we may get to Mars and find that the planet's soil is really made of 100% Gold !!

Wait a minute....... if that is so, then that would make Gold worth....hmmmmm. 5 cents a ton.

Maybe it's not a good idea.

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit