What planted the seed of doubt that lead you to leave or think of leaving?

by NanaR 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

A moment? I cannot pinpoint it.

But years of seeing that the Bible was backseated to the Watchtower, coupled with hatred disguised as 'love' both toward brother and the world. Extreme legalism that left me wondering how God's grace was limited by 'works'. The doubts were always hazy. When the haze lifted, after reading Ray's books, it was clear that the Wizard was not what he appeared.

Jeff

• calico
    calico

It all started with a little article in the newspaper about Bill Bowen. I started reading the Silentlambs website and was so shocked to find out how the WTS does not protect children.

Then the WT article about blood fractions really confused me............................

Then I found this forum and realized I am not alone!

• becca1
    becca1

Hi Nana. That was a wonderful story.

Being raised a witness, little things would bother me from time to time but I would push them aside and "wait on Jehovah". When I discovered the UN deal laast summer, everything that had always botherd me came flooding back I could no longer dismiss my negative thoughts.

• Arthur
    Arthur

I began to do research into cults and cult psychology. This is when I discovered that the Watchtower Society employs most of the mind control methods used by other cults.

• XU
    XU

There was too many to really pinpoint it. I do remember what made me feel confident to leave. We studied the greatest man book twice in a row, and I really thought Jesus was nice and no one around him really got the message. What stressed him out the most was the Pharisees and then it hit me - my cong was the Pharisees and if Jesus was kicking it in my town, he sure as hell wouldn't come to our congr, to our religion for that matter. I don't feel any particular attachment to Jesus nowadays, but I feel a kinship in that he was a decent person.

• blondie
    blondie

In spite of the doctrinal flags, it was the lack of love and the lying that finally got me out the door. After 20 plus unloving congregations and provable, bald-faced lying, I knew these people were no different (if not worse) that other religions.

Blondie

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

Most definitely the lack of love. How is df'ing a loving thing? How does that help people who are down & out? How can mere men judge heart conditions & determine true repentance? I saw more hate in the organization than love.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I think, for my family, it started with my DFing. I tried and tried to get reinstated, and every time I met with the elders, they were worse than the last. My parents did not agree with the shunning policy. Then they found out obout 607, and that really started the research ball rolling. We get more and more confirmation all the time that it is a big fat lie.

And WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!! That was a moving story!!! Thank you for sharing!

• Sam87
    Sam87

for me what started it was probably the fact that the elders are so sneeky, and they lie and cover up facts about child abusers, that led me to think that there is no way that they are appointed by Jehovah, so i never beleived that, then a bit later it was the UN relationship that put the final nail in the coffin for me.

Sam87.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Dang NanaR, that's a great experience. I wasn't sure about the transfusion policy until about the 50's or 60's. I find it interesting how people could stick around after being allowed them, then not allowed.

Mine was 607 B.C.E. Having been given preferential treatment due to family connections, I can't complain about lack of love...but I do see how people get done dirty for not having rank or being good friends with whomever has rank.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit