District Assembly Games

by *jeremiah* 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• Juniper123
    Juniper123

Yeah I would divide the assembly day into two parts, waiting for the swiss miss vanilla pudding cups at lunch, and then going to garcias for fried ice creams and mexican food afterwards.

• jonsey
    jonsey

ahhh what to do with the rest of those !@#$%^& tickets at the end of the convention and do I have enough for one more Shasta!

MJ

• sir82
    sir82

May be giving my age away here, but...

Back in the day, the cans of shasta cola had real pull-tabs, not the pop-tops that all aluminum cans have now.

A friend of mine once spent nearly the entire afternoon session straightening out, perfectly, the pull tab of a used can. He then filled the can with water, and sealed the refinshed pulltab back onto the can.

We were working the after-session concessions, and as a joke, he put the can in among the others to be sold.

Of course, the first person to buy something (in the days of the 10 cent tickets) happened to pick that can.

His conscience got the better of him though, he chased after the guy & switched the cans.

Not a particularly scintillating story, but watching him work on that tab, getting it just perfectly right, was far more interesting than anything said from the platform.

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

What was up with the MIB (men in black) guarding the platform. I think there were always like 8 of them guarding the one speaker.

• jonsey
    jonsey

Mongolia,

I am right there with...how about the hogies that tasted like cardboard. You had to have about 3 Shasta's to wash it down. I will have to dig up an old photo of me working the lunch crowd at the convention.

MJ

• Juniper123
    Juniper123

But those Sara Lee danishes, out of sight. Mmm cherry.

Edit: And you're a totally cool mom Lil!

• hambeak
    hambeak

Our games were to volunteer so you wouldn't have to listen In 1961 at the Candlestick park International assy in SF CA I worked in the cafeteria. a big tent peeling potatoes To this day I don't peel potatoes!! lmao I must have peeled a couple of tons of those things. lol Later I learned to work in other departments. When I became a nurse I worked in first aid never really learned much at those assemblies. I enjoyed the association though

• Warlock
    Warlock
    how about the hogies that tasted like cardboard.

Jonsey, now that's just WRONG. Those were delicious.

Warlock

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Thanks Juniper,

You have NO idea how much my hubby and I bumped heads on how to raise the kids. He was one of those very staunch judgemental JW fathers who although he did not study with the kids ever, would make them feel like crap for not answering during the book study or WT. I think he felt pressure from the brothers to "look good". I'm glad I stood my ground because my kids recovered very fast from the WT. My daughter had some depression at age 12 she is 14 now and doing great! The thing that was hard for her was her dad would not let any of her friends from school over, "worldly" you know. What he does not know is during the summer I used to sneak my kids school friends over anyway.

But once I got caught by my nosy elder nieghbor and he told my hubby. I lied and said the kids just showed up and I did not want to give a good witness. Then I went and laid the elder out flat. Seriously the elders in one hall did not mess with me as I could really swing my sword the bible at them to show them how their views were wrong and since they did not understand the bible, they just left me alone totally. Completely ignoring me. It was bliss. I didn't have such good luck at the 2nd hall. I got called to the carpet for not letting my kids join the school in that hall, not handing out WT's and only using the bible at the doors, and also for allowing my daughter to commit the terrible sin of .........taking an afterschool art class. OMG! The horror.

I think hubby and I were different because I had a lot of mainstream church experience prior to the Witneses and he had none at all. So he really did think the society spoke for God. I never once elevated them above God's word. Anyway, thanks again. Lilly

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

A game that I perfected at one DA was the "deaf" game. It consists of doing something inappropriate (standing in front of a "keep moving" sign etc.) and completely ignoring the repeated "Brother!" cries.

Then when then person finally makes eye-contact point and nod to indicate you are deaf and enjoy the horrified apologies.

Obviously you can't do this everywhere, but it was great.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit