It happened.....

by lavendar 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• lavendar
    lavendar

Hi,

Our son, who is married to a Witness, has just announced that he can no longer take part in Holiday celebrations of any kind. He is slowly being sucked into this org., and we are heart sick about it. From what we understand, he has to purge his life of all these "horrible" things (like birthday celebrations, etc.) before he is declared "good enough" to be accepted (& baptized) into the WTS.

This organization is so insidious. The more you try to reason with these people, the more tangled the web becomes.

Well, thanks for listening. I just had to vent......

PS: If anyone has any advice for us, we're all ears......

• zeroday
    zeroday

You can start by pointing out their history and how they have flipflopped so many times. Start with this:

Watchtower December 1, 1904 p.364

THE PRINCE OF PEACE."

--ISAIAH 9:1-7.--DECEMBER 25.--

Golden Text:--"His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor,

Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."--R.V.

EVEN though Christmas day is not the real anniversary

of our Lord's birth, but more properly the annunciation

day or the date of his human begetting

(Luke 1:28), nevertheless, since the celebration of

our Lord's birth is not a matter of divine appointment or

injunction, but merely a tribute of respect to him, it is

not necessary for us to quibble particularly about the date.

We may as well join with the civilized world in celebrating

the grand event on the day which the majority celebrate

--"Christmas day."

• Sam87
    Sam87

Have you exsplained much to him about the massive faults of the org? like the UN relationship with the JWs? if you can start to help him see this he might change his mind.

Sam87

• mariposa
    mariposa

Oh man, I'm soo sorry!! Sounds like what I did to my parents too. Just keep hanging in there, don't give up, my parents didn't. They kept sending me cards, presents, told me Happy "whatever" Day all the time.

The one that really got me to the point I cried was when I was 6 years in the org. My dad sent me a card for my birthday that said, I know you don't want to celebrate this anymore, but 27 years ago on this day it was a very special day and we all celebrated. (Something like that...I've forgotten the original wording.) That really got me to thinking about how much I missed my REAL family!!

• lavendar
    lavendar

Zero Day: That is awesome! I'm going to try to find a copy of that on ebay! Thank you!

Sam87: Yes, we have tried to share some of the WTS's falsehoods, but it falls on deaf ears.

Mariposa: I'm SO GLAD you wrote, because I've been wondering that EXACT thing.....whether to keep sending cards or not. You've convinced me to keep doing it. Thank you!!

• carla
    carla

Aww, I'm sorry. I know what your going through my husband threw all our family traditions out too. You could also point out the 'pagan' origins of weddings and everything that goes along with them including wedding rings, the days of the week, months of the year and so on..... (If he says the days of the week and months are ok because there's no need to get nutty about it, remind him that the Mennonites (I think it's them) do not say the days of the week but say first day, second day and so on...

Sorry again and good luck.

• zeroday
    zeroday

Zero Day: That is awesome! I'm going to try to find a copy of that on ebay! Thank you!

You can actually go here to the Bible Students website and order "Berean Bible Studies" on cd. It contains virtually everything Russell wrote including all Watchtowers from 1879 to 1916.

http://www.biblestudents.net/resources/books.htm

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Lavendar,

Welcome! The fact that he is trimming out holidays, withdrawing, etc. means he isn't yet baptized.

Sophistry Lessons—JW Baptismal Prerequisites

This has them DEAD TO RIGHTS on their flawed and unscriptural requirements for baptism.

Will he be willing to "explain the requirements for baptism" to you? <wink><wink>, <nudge><nudge> Know what I mean?

• mariposa
    mariposa

Hey Lavender -

Yes, keep it up on your end! If he's anything like I was he'll be pretty pissed that his parents won't respect his boundries. I was livid at first, but it calmed down after a while. I even spent some holidays, esp Thanksgiving, with some of my relatives because there was never any cut and dry law/rule denying that day. And I always made a point to call my mom and tell her to have a "good" day on her birthday, just to let her know I was thinking about her.

Tell him you miss him ALL THE TIME!!!!! and you love him too

Keep in touch with us here and let us know how it goes.

Jamee

• jonsey
    jonsey

Lavender,

Listen to what Mariposa wrote...It is very important that he understands that!

Mariposa wrote

Tell him you miss him ALL THE TIME!!!!! and you love him too

MJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit