Young People Ask... & (those stealthy apostates)

by *jeremiah* 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

*If you haven't already seen this:

Young People Ask . . .

Chat Rooms
    —How Can I Avoid the Dangers?

Introducing Moral Corruption

“I was in a chat room with a group of people who I thought were all Jehovah’s Witnesses,” says a youth named Tyler. “After a while, though, some of these people started disparaging our beliefs. Before long, it was evident that they were really apostates.” They were individuals who deliberately tried to undermine the morals of those who they claimed were their fellow believers.

God’s Son, Jesus Christ, warned that some of those who followed him would turn on their companions. ( Matthew 24:48-51 ; Acts 20:29, 30 ) The apostle Paul called such individuals in his time false brothers and says that they “sneaked in” to do harm to those in the Christian congregation. ( Galatians 2:4 ) The Bible writer Jude says that they “slipped in” with the goal of “turning the undeserved kindness of our God into an excuse for loose conduct.” ( Jude 4 ) He also describes them as “rocks hidden below water.”— Jude 12 .

Notice that both Paul and Jude identify the stealthy methods often used by apostates. These Bible writers noted that the apostates “sneaked in” or “slipped in” with the purpose of morally corrupting those in the Christian congregation. Today, chat rooms offer such corrupt ones the perfect cloak for their devious endeavors. Like rocks hidden below water, these false Christians mask their real intent beneath a pretense of concern for Witness youths. But their goal is to shipwreck the faith of unwary ones.— 1 Timothy 1:19, 20 .

This journal, as well as other material produced by Jehovah’s Witnesses, has repeatedly warned of this particular danger.# Therefore, anyone you meet in a chat room ostensibly set up for Jehovah’s Witnesses is, at best, a person who disregards such counsel. Do you really want as friends those who choose to downplay Bible-based direction?— Proverbs 3:5, 6 ; 15:5 .

...boy, I bet the WTBTS just hates the internet. They had it soo good when it didn't exist.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>These Bible writers noted that the apostates “sneaked in” or “slipped in” with the purpose of morally corrupting those in the Christian congregation.

Interesting that they were able to discern the motive of these "stealthy" apostates. Surely the only reason was to morally corrupt them!

Dave

• daystar
    daystar

Funny. I can't count the number of times I've seen active Witnesses come here thinking we're all also active Witnesses, only to be told, quite quickly, that the majority are not.

I can't think of a time when I've seen anyone here try to pretend to be an active, faithful Witness in order to lead a Witness away.

Such paranoia...

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I was one of those stealthy apostates at the my space groups. I created a dummy account and sneaked into their little groups. My aim was to try and get them to think outside the WTBTS box by raising questions to make them think. I found it virtually impossible though and gave up.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Miss Peaches, did you try to corrupt their morals? Were you IMing the local interns? Making dates to hook up? If your motives were to get them to THINK, I don't believe it could be counted as corrupting them. Although, stealthy isn't the best idea. Ultimately it destroys trust. Being who you are and approachable w/o lying is fairly effective. Except that most JWs are suspicious and wary of anyone online in any case, they aren't often willing to discuss their religion with anyone they don't know and trust online.

• potleg
    potleg

So anyone you meet in a chat room is not really worthy of friendship because they disregard WT warnings...but so do you by being there too. Might as well lock yourself in a dark closet.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Do you really want as friends those who choose to downplay Bible-based direction?
    That's probably where Adam and Eve went wrong - damn those fruit chat rooms!

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

Welcome to the '30 Pieces of Silver Forum'

bczar

• Arthur
    Arthur

This silly paranoia cracks me up. I neither have the time nor the slightest interest in playing childish mind games with active JWs. Even if I wanted to lead them away from the "truth"; where the hell would I lead them to?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    This journal, as well as other material produced by Jehovah’s Witnesses, has repeatedly warned of this particular danger.# Therefore, anyone you meet in a chat room ostensibly set up for Jehovah’s Witnesses is, at best, a person who disregards such counsel.

They really have been quite sucessful in doing away with JW chatrooms as far as I can tell. I know there are some, but 8/9 years ago there was alot more to choose from and a whole lot more JW's in them.

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit