Trick or treat

by katiekitten 16 Replies latest jw friends

• juni
    juni

I certainly can understand why you don't like the public Halloween! That's awful. Like the others have said here in the US, most "tricks" are a few smashed pumpkins in the road.

That's interesting about Australia. I hope someone posts here about that question.

Juni

• Mulan
    Mulan

Our six year old grandson went Trick or Treating for the first time two years ago. He was so excited when he got candy, that he called to my son, his father, and said "that man gave me CANDY!!!" and then ran to the doors. His birthday is October 29, so he has a Halloween party birthday every year, not that his mother is finally out, with the rest of us. Very fun.

When we were JW's, we would put a sign on our door, that we didn't celebrate Halloween and not to disturb us. In the past few years, that we have had candy for the kids, few would come becaues they knew the signs from the past. Last year, we had a lot of kids because I had an electric Jack o Lantern in the window. I decorate more now too, so we expect more kids this year.

The first time his middle boy was old enough to go trick-or-treating he just went along with the rest of the kids to the first door. He came running back yelling, "THAT GUY JUST GAVE ME CANDY!!!" He ran to each house after that! Tomorrow the youngest brother (2 years) is going for his first time.

I should have read the whole thread before I posted. Same boy. Great story.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Ohhh daystar I so remember doing this:

I can remember being a JW and how we'd turn off the front lights and hide in the living room, trying not to make a sound as the trick or treaters knocked. I was always expecting our house to be egged or toilet papered and it never happened.

I'm so glad I get to take part in this holiday now even though it's the one I really thought I would never do once I left the b'Org. LOL Never say never! It's one of my favorite holidays, I just wish I was a kid so I could put on a costume and go trick or treating!

I've got my house all decorated and am hoping for more than the same three kids that came last year and the year before. All the families take their kids downtown to the business to trick or treat, can't say that I blame them for doing that it's much safer and probably a lot more fun for the kids because they see so many of their friends that way. I would sure hate Halloween too Katie if it meant nothing but trouble, but here it's so fun!

At least this year I remembered to NOT buy too much candy somebody I know eats it all.......bad, bad.....yummy!

alt

• deeskis
    deeskis

Halloween has not been very big in Australia, it's looked upon as an American tradition. People are surprised when I tell them that it was celebrated in Scotland..............(not by us though haha)

It is becoming more popular here now though, the shops have decorations and costumes for the kids, (they've recognised the chance to cash in!) My daughter and her friend dragged me out yesterday and bought some goulish accessories, and I bought some lollies and chocolate, My son and his friend stocked up on water baloons too, so we're ready for tonight's festivities.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Katie Kitten,

That sounds horrible. Halloween is quite popular in BC, but not as much as Christmas. Lots of kids still go trick or treating, usually with parents or older brothers and sisters close by watching out. Many parents throw private parties for the little ones or older teens or even themselves. Church groups have parties too. There is not very much vandalism. Egging is illegal and the police are on the watch for groups of unruly teens, (they will confiscate the eggs if found). We only had our house egged once and it was not because we were JW's. It was because the kids who lived across the street were juvenile delinquants. They caused havoc in the neighbourhood all year long, not just on Halloween.

Yes egg, is very hard to clean off. You should have seen hubby cursing the next day. It didn't sound too christian like! I wanted to give out candy this year but hubby forbids me (unusual for him). It might have something to do with the fact that there are a dozen witnesses who live in our subdivision including the service overseer and presiding overseer. He says it will only take one to drive by when I'm giving out candy and then I'll be df'd for sure. (I know he's right). I'm disappointed though, and I think I might egg his car for revenge!

Cog

• hambeak
    hambeak

Well I am going to my first halloween party ever with some ex dubs in the Dallas area and I am looking forward to it! I am going casual not dressing up as I am ugly enough lol. My partner doesn't want to go as he despises jw's as back in the early 90's he studied with them and read everything he could get his hands on and we almost split up over it and we both decided our relationship was worth more than being with that group. I am just so socially retarded from the jw organization I do great in business but as far as social affairs I am very shy because as a dub you can't socialize with anyone who isn't an active dub in good standing and then it is controlled.

• carla
    carla

The worse that ever happened at our house (US) was someone once stole our carved pumkins off the porch and smashed them. We were very upset as we take great pains in designing our pumpkin faces! When I was a kid the worse I heard of kids doing was soaping windows and toilet papering someones trees. No eggs though. Can't eggs ruin paint jobs completely? I hated the houses that made you sing a song or do some stupid 'trick', luckily so many kids would get clogged up at that house that the owner would forgo the tricks for the other kids! Happy Halloween!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit