Trick or treat

by katiekitten 16 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Or as its known in England "give us yer stuff or we'll egg you".

It really isnt the cozy friendly 'kids get dressed up and chat to all the neighbours nicely' that it is portrayed on American TV (remember the ET scene?). I know you guys across the pond love haloween but IMO its awful here. Youth crime goes up by 20% in the UK around haloween.

Our version is way more menacing. Kids prowl round neighbourhoods in gangs. They dont bother getting dressed up. They dont carry cute plastic pumpkins for collecting sweets. They DO carry boxes of eggs and bags of flour, and sometimes bags of dogshit. They terrify old people with threats of retribution for non contribution.

Nice kids dont go out on haloween or in the days around it because the kids that are out in gangs with their boxes of eggs are the feral kids who operate best in big gangs.

Ive just been to my local shop where two girls shoplifted a box of eggs and then smashed them against the doors. The police were there.

Even my nice kids at school think its acceptable to "go out egging". I told them "have you ever tried cleaning an egg off a window?"

So I HATE haloween.

• jstalin
    jstalin

Wow... sounds like a great time! Things are much more fun here on Halloween... I went to a huge costume party this weekend and I plan to get dressed up for work tomorrow.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    I told them "have you ever tried cleaning an egg off a window?"

spoken like a true ex window cleaner

• lowden
    lowden
    "have you ever tried cleaning an egg off a window?"

Oooh YES.........yyyyyes...i have.

It's legalised bleedin' scounging over 'ere.

I must admit though, i was at a friends house last night, i answered the knock at the door and.......well, they'd made SUCH an effort KK!!

Even the dog had flashing devil's horns on.........so i gave 'em 30p.

Lowden (who had pound coins in his pocket too.....sod THAT!!!)

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

LMAO at Lowden with 30p!!!

I love the fact that eveyone recognises me as an ex-window cleaner!

There are fun haloween parties in peoples houses over here, inside in private. But what happens outside in public spaces and on the streets is awful IMO.

• Alana
    Alana

That's awful. I think I would probably dislike it, too, if it were just an excuse for vandalism like that. Is it like that in all parts of England, or just certain areas or cities?

My cousin-in-law moved to Melbourne, Australia, in August and she says that Aussies don't do Halloween. Is that true? That is her favorite holiday and her little girl's (2nd) birthday, so since they weren't in the States for the birthday, she was at least looking forward to taking her Trick or Treating. Are their similar problems Down Under?

• daystar
    daystar

That's terrible. Hardly anyone actually "tricks" here. Teens might steal pumpkins here and there and toss them on the roads, but that's pretty much it.

I can remember being a JW and how we'd turn off the front lights and hide in the living room, trying not to make a sound as the trick or treaters knocked. I was always expecting our house to be egged or toilet papered and it never happened.

Speaking of, here is what I'm wearing:

• Princess
    Princess

That's so sad! It's one of my favorite holidays because of the kindness of all my neighbors. My brother brings his boys over for trick-or-treating with my kids every year and they have so much fun. The first time his middle boy was old enough to go trick-or-treating he just went along with the rest of the kids to the first door. He came running back yelling, "THAT GUY JUST GAVE ME CANDY!!!" He ran to each house after that! Tomorrow the youngest brother (2 years) is going for his first time.

The worst behavior we see around here is pumpkins smashed in the streets. We always bring the jack-o-lanterns up to the front porch when it gets late. I don't want to have to clean up that mess!

Rachel

• Carmel
    Carmel

about the worstest thing we ever did on holloween was outhouse tipping

carmel

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Trick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit