Bible Contradictions?

by Aequitus 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aequitus
    Aequitus

Hello, I was visited by Jehovah's Witnesses three times, and I decided to attend a meeting of theirs (which was this morning). I had brought a page of questions because I was expecting more of a discussion. This was not the case and I left after two hours. There are websites which claim that there are contradictions within the bible, such as the following three apparent contradictions: God CAN be seen: "And I will take away my hand, and thou shalt see my backparts." (Ex. 33:23) "And the Lord spake to Moses face to face, as a man speaketh to his friend." (Ex. 33:11) "For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." (Gen. 32:30) Vs. "No man hath seen God at any time." (John 1:18) "And he said, Thou canst not see my face; for there shall no man see me and live." (Ex. 33:20) "Whom no man hath seen nor can see." (1 Tim. 6:16) MATTHEW 1:16 "And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ." LUKE 3:23 "And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli." War or Peace EXODUS 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name. ROMANS 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen. Thanks

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Welcome Aequitus

I had brought a page of questions because I was expecting more of a discussion. This was not the case and I left after two hours.

That's too bad, the meeting was over and you could have caught anyone of them and started asking your questions...

There are websites which claim that there are contradictions within the bible, such as the following three apparent contradictions: God CAN be seen: "And I will take away my hand, and thou shalt see my backparts." (Ex. 33:23) "And the Lord spake to Moses face to face, as a man speaketh to his friend." (Ex. 33:11) "For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." (Gen. 32:30) Vs. "No man hath seen God at any time." (John 1:18) "And he said, Thou canst not see my face; for there shall no man see me and live." (Ex. 33:20) "Whom no man hath seen nor can see." (1 Tim. 6:16) MATTHEW 1:16 "And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ." LUKE 3:23 "And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli." War or Peace EXODUS 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name. ROMANS 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

So what?

There are many contradictions in the Bible, which is no wonder because the Bible is a collection of texts reflecting many perspectives and opinions.

You'll find people to solve any contradiction as only "apparent," but usually the solution makes less sense than the contradiction imo.

• Aequitus
    Aequitus

I should have said this to begin with, but I do not view the bible as the word of god, and I am seeking an answer from someone who does view the bible as the word of god. I am interested in how someone can come to be convinced of this, as everyone who was at the meeting earlier apparently was.

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

How do you expect to get an answer from people who can only guess and wonder as yourself?

Or do you consider their guess you agree with an
    "answer"?

What is your definition of an answer anyway?

• Aequitus
    Aequitus

Well, when I talked to the Jehovah's witnesses when they came to my door, they seemed to have an answer for all of my questions. (I suppose 'answer' being defined as a response which seemed to show that there was no contradiction, to relate it to my question for this post.)

• Borgia
    Borgia

There is a website somewhere which contains the bible. With every text come little icons showing what kind of anomaly they have encountered. A nice site for a good laugh or two and will help you in targeting your initial question a bit better.

I will try to locate that one. If any of you know where it is...please, post it here.

Cheers

Borgia

• Narkissos
  • bubble
    bubble

Please don't go to the jw's for answers to your questions, they will suck you in and escape is very hard.

Do your own research and come to your own conclusions, it's better that way.

• Borgia
    Borgia

Narkissos, thanks very much indeed. That´s the one.

Cheers

Borgia

• freetosee
    freetosee

Hi

Aequitus ,

That linke is good. If you ever encounter jw’s again or go to another meeting it will be interesting to see them deal with your questions. They strongly believe that the bible is not man’s opinion, but all scripture is inspired and preserved by god. So it can not contradict itself. In fact, the circular reasoning is that the bible tells them so and that is why it must be so (2 Timothy 3:16, 17; 1 Corinthians 14:33).

And yes, jws invite people to a public discourse and a following bible discussion, but now you have seen the reality of this. It is watchtower (wt) propaganda speech followed by a question-and-answer coverage of wt material, no (critical) questions allowed or possible.

If you speak to a regular jw who can’t answer to the contradictions, he will try arrange for an elder to "teach". However if the elder assesses you as not being sheep-like, all loving interest in you will be dropped.

I’d love to hear of any future meetings you have with jws. Maybe you can help some out of the wt cult.

freetosee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit