The Rise and Fall of "Experts" (wt Nov 1 06)

by IMHO 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• IMHO
    IMHO

The Watchtower – Nov 1 st 2006

The Rise and Fall of “Experts”

Type the words “parenting and “advice” into one popular search engine on the internet, and over 26 million reference instantly appear.

Only 14 and a half million with Google.

If you took only one minute to look up and read each one, your child would grow up and leave home before you could even finish.

They would do a lot more than that if there were over 26 million it would take over 50 years at a minute a page.

Before the days of pediatricians, child psychologists, and the Internet where did parents go for advice? Generally, they looked to their extended family. Mothers, fathers, aunts and uncles were ready and able to offer guidance, financial aid, and babysitting services.

If we're talking about advice and guidance why add the 'extra' benefits of financial aid and babysitting services? What about books? How many new parents want the Mother-in-law interfering?

But in many lands, a massive population shift from rural to city life has almost completely severed such close family ties.

Is family guidance not possible over long-distance? What about the telephone or even 'letter' writing, or even email?

This shift is not new, in 1920 more than half of Americans lived in cities.

All too often today, mothers and fathers find themselves handling the challenges of parenting alone.

Not true in the Western world the Nanny State is all too willing to keep a check on you. Health visitors, social workers etc.

This is undoubtedly one reason why the modern child-care industry has grown so rapidly.

Not the main reason though. Mothers feel the need to go out to work for financial or emotional reasons.

Another reason is a widespread faith in science By the late 1800's, the American public was already becoming convinced that science could improve every aspect of human life. Why not child rearing? So when the American National Congress of Mothers publicly bewailed “the incompetancy of parents” in 1899, a parade of “scientific experts” quickly appeared on the scene. They promised to help struggling mothers.

Why the “American” public? Were the rest of the world too backward scientifically?

Parenting by the Book

Yet, what have these experts accomplished? Are the parents of today less anxious and better equipped to raise their children than those of yesteryear? Not according to one recent poll in Britain. It revealed that about 35 percent of parents with young children are still searching for advice they can trust. Others feel that they have little choice but to follow their own instincts.

Regardless of recent surveys, by the 1920s, one mother was so overwhelmed with child-care instruction that she confessed, "I try to do just what you say, but I am a nervous wreck just trying to be calm."

Why quote a poll in Britain when previously we were shown that it was the 'American' public that was becoming convinced.

To quote another poll from Britain: On 8 September 2006, the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Families and Social Capital Research Group at London South Bank University presented research findings at the Diverse Britain: Social Practice and Social Policy conference. The research found that in a survey of 1112 parents of 'middle aged' children, the majority did not feel that parents need professional advice and guidance to help them bring up their children.

In her book Raising America: Experts, Parents, and a Century of Advice About Children, Ann Hulbert traces the history of professional literature on child reading. Hulbert, herself a mother of two, points out that few of the experts' findings were based on well-grounded science. Rather, their advice appears to have been influenced more by their own life experience than by any objective data. In retrospect, it seems that much of what they wrote was faddish, contradictory, and sometimes downright bizarre.

In should state 'in her opinion' with regard to the experts' findings, I'm sure they believed that their findings were based on science. Being a mother of two does that make Hulbert an expert. What relevance is the fact that their advice appears to have been influenced by their life experience. Isn't that true of anyone that states an opinion. Every family has different ideas and ways of bringing up children which they feel are best. How many people have you heard say; “I want to give my children what I didn't have”.

So where does that leave parents today? Frankly, many are confused, confronted as they are with more advice, opinions, and controversies than ever before. However, not all parents feel that they are adrift. Parents the world over are benefiting from an ancient source of wisdom that is still proving to be a wellspring of reliable advice, as the following article will show.

Few Bible students would not recommend following the Bibles' advice on rearing children. However there are many in the congregation who would also agree that however you bring up your children their will always be those who don't agree with how you're doing it.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree
    Frankly, many are confused, confronted as they are with more advice, opinions, and controversies than ever before.

And Witnesses aren't?

• carla
    carla

Oh good another wt where the ever knowledgable writing dept claims the rest of the world is confused on a subject. Come and hide in the borg and you too will not have to think about anything! Not even raising your children as you see fit. Just leave the hard thinking to us.

• serendipity
    serendipity

And few of the writers even had any children.

• KW13
    KW13

I wish i had been raised by Google, it can't of been worse than the dubs lol.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    If you took only one minute to look up and read each one, your child would grow up and leave home before you could even finish.

Do they even care about style anymore? If this was an attempt at cynicism, why do they fail so miserably?

I think all the WT writers need to take a professional writing course--NOT taught at Bethel by Brother EditedHisHSPaperForAYear. Either that or go to dreaded college.

• fokyc
    fokyc

I got 10,800,000 so what do I do now?

fokyc

• Ade
    Ade

• Ade
    Ade

HI,
    heres a little story for you. When i first took my children to the kingdom hall everyone remarked how well behaved and loving they were ( its either genuine in kids or its not there ) ( my children continue in this manner too this day ). this was amidst the "born into the truth" children who were mocking laughing and being generally nasty to each other.By Teaching bible truths your children can grow to be loving, by enforcing man made doctrines onto them they grow up to be psychologically disadvantaged cult members without thinking ability or God given freedom, which in turn breed coldness of heart and a lack of true love - look how easily witnesses shun each other, and is their love in the congregations - NO - its a mist of falsehood that rises at the beginning of the meeting and falls at the end, a fascade, nothing but vile banter and divisions and bragging in the majority of cases.I'm not saying this to be negative its simply the truth, and in all truthfulness most of these "brothers and sisters" couldnt stand the thought of living with each other for eternity.

God bless you and yours
    Ade

• Ade
    Ade

"And few of the writers even had any children."

Why have children ?? the end is so near ( 1874 ) ( again 1875 ) ( 1892 again ) and so on and so on !!!!!!!
    and dont forget to quit your job etc etc
    Theres probably less lies on google than in the latest watchtower

Ade

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit