Why do we tell our stories: reconsidered

by Lady Lee 23 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Many of us were victims of various kinds of abuse: physical, emotional, sexual and definitely spiritual abuses.

Many people have created an atmosphere where it is finally safe for us to tell our stories.

We do this for a variety of reasons. We tell our stories because:

• we were silenced for so long and it needs to come out so that we can heal
    • need to find out whether we were alone
    • we are finally free to talk and share
    • we hope to get support
    • we hope to offer support to other victims
    • we empower oursleves and take control over our recovery
    • know need to know we are believed (especially if we were told we were lying)
    • we need to be heard finally

We want to protect other people. Silence only makes more victims. The one thing that an abuser wants from his victims is silence. They threaten us with all kinds of terrible things. They tell us that we are reponsible. They tell us we are unclean and deserved it. They tell us that we are worth nothing.

The only thing that an abuser wants from any one who finds out about the abuse is silence. When other family members or elders give him what he wants - that precious silence - he is empowered to continue abusing us and others. He is empowered to find more victims. He thinks he has it made. Many of them actually believe they are not hurting anyone.

But we care about other people. We have no desire to see one more person hurt. So we speak out now that it is safe. We speak out now that we know somebody is listening.

Sometimes it is too painful to read our stories. I ache for each story I have read. Sometimes I need to take time before reading another story. It hurts but I read them.

I know how much it takes for a person to tell his or her story. When I tell my story for a new group of people I shake. My body reacts to the telling. It releases a lot of fear but it stirs up a lot of fear too. What if they don't believe me? What if no one responds? What if they think it wasn't that bad? What if they think I caused it or deserved it. It isn't easy to tell our stories. It means we relive it. Few of us can even begin to tell you how bad it really was. I try to do that with my poetry. The feelings are raw. But it takes a lot to do that. I doubt there is one person here who has told their story and not suffered that night because of the memories. It isn't easy. The WTS wants one thing from its victims - Silence. They silence us by disfellowshipping us. They silence us by demonizing us so other JWs won't listen and if they do listen they won't believe us or care. They isolate us from family and friends. And they say we are bitter, we deserved what we got and that we lie. The abusive WTS follows the pattern of all abusers: protect the organization at all cost even if that means continuing the destroying people and families. There are so many of us here. Some tell their stories for the first time. Even if you cannot express any words just let them know you took the time to share their pain.

• Warlock
    Warlock

I was actually shocked to see there were others that felt like me, because they had gone thru the same type of experience. I thought I was alone in my feelings, until I got to JWD.

Warlock

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Warlock

I was out for 10 years before I finally got on the internet. It has made a world of difference to me.

I'm sure there are many people who don't have internet access who continue to suffer in silence believing they are alone.

Something about my first 10 years out. When I was DFed they told me I was not allowed to speak to JWs. If a JW spoke to me I was to tell them about my status to warn them to get away. Like a dummy I respected that.

But there was the JW part of me that continued to believe I shouldn't talk to people who were DFed. It wasn't until I got on the net and found out the real truth to realize I didn't have to be obedient to any of their rules. I could talk to anyone I wanted.

And I do. I have no obligation to shun anyone that the WTS tells me to

• Warlock
    Warlock

L. L.

The other thing that suprised me was most "apostates" are not lying in wait ready to pounce on you like wild animals. The WTS makes it sound like all "apostates" are akin to lepers. Many, IMHO, are people who have been hurt, either by the Org. or those in it.

Warlock

• hambeak
    hambeak

I have been out for about 25 years now been to some meetings during that time. I always thought I was among a very few people like me. I used to believe everything the wts said as gospel. I admit I sometimes still have anxiety feelings. I am now reading Crisis of Conscience and my feelings of anxiety are diminishing. When I stumbled on jwd I found a world I never new existed my eternal thanks to all on this board.

Ham

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

It was reading other poster's accounts of the sex abuse they have endured which drew me to finally talk about what happened to me. I'd never dared tell a soul before, carrying the pain and shame and guilt alone for 30 years. I was scared people wouldn't believe me. I had trouble even admitting to myself that what happened was abuse.

Now I'm finally becoming a survivor.

So to those who posted their accounts before I did, it was your pain which really put me in touch with my own and so onto the path of healing - Thank you

And to those still afraid to talk but feeling they need to - this really is a safe place and the support you receive is wonderful.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I know how much it takes for a person to tell his or her story. When I tell my story for a new group of people I shake. My body reacts to the telling. It releases a lot of fear but it stirs up a lot of fear too. What if they don't believe me? What if no one responds? What if they think it wasn't that bad? What if they think I caused it or deserved it. It isn't easy to tell our stories. It means we relive it. Few of us can even begin to tell you how bad it really was. I try to do that with my poetry. The feelings are raw. But it takes a lot to do that. I doubt there is one person here who has told their story and not suffered that night because of the memories. It isn't easy.

Your whole post really hits home with me, Lee, especially this part. I've told mine before, even though it was pre-WTS and had nothing to do with the WTS. I figure abuse is abuse, no matter where or when it occurs.

Thank you for bumping this up, Lee.

Frannie

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

It's certainly brave of anyone to share their story. One day I might.

• parakeet
    parakeet

When I left the Witnesses, I left because I KNEW they didn't have truth of any kind. I've never been plagued by doubts and fears that maybe they do have the truth. I realize I've been fortunate in that regard (probably because I was already in my teens before the JWs got their claws in me).

Reading others' stories here not only confirms how good a decision it was to leave, it also makes me realize that the WTS/JWs is an even more malignant religion than I had imagined. I'm still open-mouthed at some of the horrendous accounts I read here. When I left, my mother told me I would have to account for my actions before Jehovah. I can see with even more clarity now that the JWs/WTS are the ones who are bloodguilty.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Sad Emo

It was reading other poster's accounts of the sex abuse they have endured which drew me to finally talk about what happened to me. I'd never dared tell a soul before, carrying the pain and shame and guilt alone for 30 years. I was scared people wouldn't believe me. I had trouble even admitting to myself that what happened was abuse.

I felt the exact same way when I started speaking out publicly in the late 1980s. And if they did believe me they would think I deserved it. The reality is that if we could have made it happen they that means we also had the power to stop it. And there is no way we had the power to stop it.

That fear silences us. Our abusers know how to silence us and it works for a long long time.

Frannie

I figure abuse is abuse, no matter where or when it occurs.

My original post on this subject was about those of us who were sexually abused as children. But as I was reposting it I realized how well it fit the actions of the WTS who tosses its victims to the corner

lonelysheep

when you are ready. Don't feel you have to tell here. But a therapist or a trusted friend perhaps. What is important is that you tell your story in a way that impowers you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit