Do you need to be popular?

by nicolaou 16 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Everyone wants to be liked but how important is popularity to you? I can honestly say I've little desire to be popular but I do know I need to feel loved. Perhaps it's something to do with maturity (not age). I feel so much more secure within myself now that I know who I am. I no longer need the approval of my peers but I have learned to appreciate and listen to them.

So how about you? How important is popularity to you? Are you upset if no-one misses you straight away? How do you feel about people who are popular? Do you get jealous? How do you feel when your name never comes up on those 'popular poster' threads? What if it does?

Do you need to be popular?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I must admit , I like to be liked

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I like to feel accepted. Not necessarily popular.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Same as misspeaches for me nowadays.

I've upgraded from my desire to be totally invisible!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Popular takes WAY too much energy.

I just want to be completely adored by a hand-picked circle.

• professor
    professor

Around Milwaukee, a person's popularity is judged almost solely on how well they know me! lol.

• becca1
    becca1

I don't need to be popular, or even liked outside my family. I can only claim 1 friend and he lives 10 hours away, so we only see each other about twice a year. But that's fine with me. Since joining this forum I have found a few virtual friends, who knows maybe one day I will be popular!

RV

• Mary
    Mary
    Everyone wants to be liked but how important is popularity to you? I can honestly say I've little desire to be popular but I do know I need to feel loved.

I wouldn't equate the need to be liked or loved with 'popularity', as they're two different things. Every human has a need to be liked and loved by their family and close friends but it has nothing to do with being popular. A common definition of 'popularity is: "...The quality or state of being popular, especially the state of being widely admired, accepted, or sought after...." This is, IMO, very shallow when I see people go out of their way to draw attention to themselves at every opportune moment. A close friend of mine has a sister in law who absolutely thrives of being the centre of attention and it's nauseating to watch.

I want people to like me for who I am and how I treat others. If someone only likes you because you're 'popular', they're not really a true friend.

Just my two cents.

• becca1
    becca1

That last post under my name was my husband. He forgot he was on under my name. He is the introvert in the family. I have always been wildly popular!!! LOL

• ballistic
    ballistic

what? Who started this thread? Never heard of them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit