~Share a magical memory from your childhood thread~

by FlyingHighNow 44 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I even got ice cream out of it once. What can I say, either I played the part well or the older farmer's wife knew what we were up to and played along (I think more the latter than the former).

What an adorable stinker you were. Grand daddy, or Uncle Greendaddy, owned more than one farm that either friends or relatives lived on and worked. He used to take us up to see check on them. I recall pushing the pigs off in the mud puddles. The pigs were bewildered and slightly annoyed with us brats. Another time we went to check on the chickens, they lived in a what we called a chicken motel: the really, really big commerical chicken coops. It had snowed and was very cold. But the coop was warm and the ammonia smell from the chickens nearly knocked me out.

I also recall on one trip up there, he saw a long rectangular patch on the high way. He pointed it out and told us a story. "See that patch on the road? One time a fella was driving a truck loaded with dynamite. The truck blew up and they had to pick the driver up in baskets." We were in awe, my younger brother and I. "Wow, really? Wow. Mannnn."

Years later, as an adult, I noticed lots and lots of those huge, vehicle sized patches on highways. That is when I realized Grand Dad had been pulling our legs. And also when I realized that is where I got my leg pulling gift from. The only thing is, I can't do it without eventually laughing, when asked if what I said was true.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

My Magical childhood memories are of my dear aunt Heather. See, aunt Heather came to live with my family when I was pretty young.(she is my momma's sister). She took us kids on walks. She played music for us. She made us feel like we could fly. She encouraged us to draw, and be creative. I remember being excited getting off the school bus because I knew Heather would be there. She would read us stories, and incite us to use our imaginations. Heather made an impression on me that has lasted my entire life. If I ever felt like I could fly high, it was because my aunt heather showed me how. I can't seem to remember much about my childhood or growing up. Funny, I don't seem to have many happy memories of my parents....But like a light out of the darkness, you have ALWAYS shone through in my memories. My shining light! I will always love you Heather!

Heather (FHN) and me Circa 1974-5

Heather and I.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Wow, Chris, thank you. I felt like you kids were my own kids before I ever had my own. I adored all of you and wanted you to know you were special. I took pictures of you like a mom would her own children. I'll come back at a more decent hour and share some memories. It's like a resurrection having you here. It's a bright, warm thing, even as winter sets in. (((((Chris)))))

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Time Bandit, your story about you and your Aunt Heather brought tears to my eyes. (In a good way, I promise.)

So very happy you are here.

Love,
    Baba.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Baba, this brought tears to my eyes, too. I think you posted on this thread when it was new. You've been here over four years now. I did talk to Steve twice. I started a thread for him and his wife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit