~Share a magical memory from your childhood thread~

by FlyingHighNow 44 Replies latest jw friends

• becca1
    becca1

Does reading "The Happy Hollister's" mysteries count?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

JW Daughter, we used to visit my grandparents in Atlanta. They'd always take us on country drives and we'd stop and buy produce from the farmers. Peaches are a big crop in Georgia. They tasted wonderful back in the 1960's. I wish they still tasted that way. Peach icecream is pretty yummy, too.

Becca, yes, that counts, too. Do you remember where you read them? Did you ever curl up with a good book on a rainy day? I have many happy memories of being lost in books. Dr. Doolittle, The Secret Garden, Pippe Longstocking and so many others. I loved the library and the Scholastic books orders from school. I never read those particular books. I'll have to look for them with my grandsons. I made the library a big part of my children's lives. I still make it a big part of life. Now that my grandsons are here, we also spend a lot of time at the library and reading books.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I remember when I was 5 yo and my Mom had been transferred from Dallas to Beaumont, TX for her job. She couldn't leave me and my older sis with her mother because her mother was really mean and didn't care about us, so she enrolled us in a 24/7 Catholic Parochial school in Dallas. We were there for only 6 weeks but it seemed like eternity. I was always getting punished for something or having my hands whacked with a ruler at the dining table for not using proper table etiquette. I was the youngest one there, being only 5 yo.

There were two magic moments that saved my biscuits and helped me stay strong till Momma came back to get us.

I was an early riser and as such, I'd be up before anyone else and go down to the kitchen and help "cook" to set the tables. Ya know what she did? She'd sit me down when we finished setting the tables. There was a tiny table for two on a sunporch where she'd serve me strawberries and cream or peaches and cream before the others came down to the kitchen. It was heavenly. It made me feel that maybe someone cared about me, because even my older sister was snotty to me because she didn't want to have to look out for me and they made her because I was so young.

The other magic moment was when the parochial school students and some of the nuns would be having a sing-a-long around a campfire on the school grounds at night. I'd be sitting there watching for the Mother Superior because she was so sweet to me. Soon I'd see her pulling into the long drive and I'd race down the hill to get to her car and ride up to the school with her. She'd sit at the end of the drive and wait for me, because she would see me coming. :) Again.....I was in hog heaven being allowed to be singled out for that.

Frannie

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW

What great stories. I remember playing sports outside all year round with all of the neighborhood kids. Depending on the season we would go from baseball to football to hockey then basketball. My favorite was baseball, and when we were all about 12, we spent one whole summer playing home run derby at the little league fields. This May I went to my 30 year high school reunion and during the night one of the my old friends leaned over, looked me straight in the eye and said "Home Run Derby".

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Becca, I found this wonderful site for you:

http://happy-hollisters.com/memoriesofbooks.html

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Awww, Frannie, I bet you were adorable, too. I can imagine a little pout and your sad little eyes. I hate for kids to be sad. I had teachers and two dancing school teachers who took an interest in me like that. Those experiences really did save my sense of self worth. Sometimes they still save my self worth, remembering the kind things they said and did for me.

My MILS, I love your name and avatar! Baseball or softball in most cases was my favorite sport, besides bowling. I loved going to see the little league games, too. Going to the snack bar was fun, too. I was on an awful softball team. We didn't win a game. But our coaches would always buy us a New Orleans snowball (snow cone) after every game. We were sponsored by the Sheriff of St. Mary's Parish. We got to go to the tournament and even though we lost every game, we still had a wonderful time. I can still remember the songs that were popular at the time. "Reflections Of My Life" by Marmalade, I think it was stands out the most.

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW

Running through the cornfields of my Grandfathers farm with my brother....my Grandmothers homemade bread...playing in my Grandparents attic, looking through all the old chests with all the old letters. Thanks Flying High Now! I'm off to sleep with an ear to ear grin and a warm heart!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Thanks Flying High Now! I'm off to sleep with an ear to ear grin and a warm heart!

You're welcome. What inspired this thread? I had some pretty bad things happen to me as a child, but I was always full of ebullient joy anyway. My mother at least let us have a lot of freedom and we did many great things. After I got into my 40's, I had to be more honest with myself about my parents and the way they treated us kids. I got to where I didn't remember the good times as much as I did the bad ones.

The other night, when I was having trouble falling asleep, I decided to think of the things I liked best about all the places I have lived, starting with Mobile, Alabama, where I was born and lived the first almost 7 years of my life. Doing this was one of the best gifts I could have given myself. The next day I thought that this would be a great idea for a thread. I hope this thread will continue to get support and last for a while. We all owe it to ourselves to remember the magic of our childhoods.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I don't remember a lot from being a kid but I do remember sleepovers at my Grandmother's house. Anything I wanted for dinner, lots of tangy dill pickles and lots of love. I miss her the most out of everyone from my past.

Also coming home from the Thursday night meeting, pouring rain after a hot day. Running to get changed, jumping into the water with the rain coming down and dark falling fast. First time I smiled in weeks. Utter and complete peace of mind.

Dams

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Dams, it's amazing how important food is in the memories of our grandmothers. Pickles: that calls to mind the huge, very sour pickles you could get in an individual package at the movies when I was a kid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit