New World Translation Brackets!!

by gold_morning 137 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I believe my edit to my post specifies an explicit instance of prayer to Jesus. I apologize for the error in posting.

• Mondo1
    Mondo1

Let me reply to your edits.

"Made appeal" has a footnote in the NWT . It reads: "Or, 'invocation; prayer.'" To whom did Stephen pray? Why —especially given the context—was kurios replaced with Jehovah in this instance, since Stephen is plainly directly addressing his comments to "Lord Jesus?"

Jesus was physically in the sight of Stephen, so I would not consider this an example of prayer.

You still have not responded regarding the indentity of the Alpha and the Omega. According to the NWT it seems that it is both Jesus and the One seated on the throne. But that would strongly indicate polypersonal deity...so there MUST be another explanation. I can hardly wait to read it.

No, they are not both the Alpha and the Omega, only the Father is the A&W. I can hardly see this even weakly indicating a polypersonal deity, much less a strong indication of such. The Bible never even hits at the idea of God being polypersonal. It is entirely imported into Scripture as a post-Biblical thought.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

For qualifications, I do not claim anything special. I have studied some formally, but most of my study has been on my own. The fact that one does study and comes to learn certain things that can be substantiated historically tends to make one qualified to point these things out.

Thank you for your honesty Mondo1....in that you stated your education is not "special" and have come to your conclusions on your own. What I guess I am getting at is that I find it hard to see how you can speak to others who are equally if not more knowledgeable in their conclusions, and say the derogatory things that you do.

Annie

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

So, even when the word used to record the event means prayer, and even though the person is directly addressed, it was not prayer because he saw the Lord Jesus when he made the request.

Despite the fact you said that Revelation 4:11 was prayer, even though the word prayer is not used, and even though the ones speaking were in the presence of the one addressed. Can you please explain?

While you are at it, please explain the change from kurios to "Jehovah" in this clear instance of direct address to Jesus. As far as I can see, nothing indicates that he changed the person being addressed, and it would be Jesus who might judge Stephen's persecutors adversely...would it not?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Mondo1,

Unless I am mistaken, Stephen was also seeing the Father...the one to whom Jesus entrusted HIS spirit. Why would Stephen make appeal that JESUS receive his spirit, with the Father present?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Revelation 22:12-16
    "‘Look! I am coming quickly, and the reward I give is with me, to render to each one as his work is. I am the Al´pha and the O·me´ga, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. Happy are those who wash their robes, that the authority [to go] to the trees of life may be theirs and that they may gain entrance into the city by its gates. Outside are the dogs and those who practice spiritism and the fornicators and the murderers and the idolaters and everyone liking and carrying on a lie.’
    "‘I, Jesus, sent my angel to bear witness to YOU people of these things for the congregations. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright morning star.’"

Take a gander at Revelation 22. The chapter that contains the warning about adding to or taking away from the scroll. Note that in two verses (22:5, 6) "Jehovah" is inserted without OT basis. Note too, who it is that is (contextually) coming quickly. (22:20)

I ask again: Who is the Alpha and the Omega?

• Mondo1
    Mondo1

The use of "I, proper name" occurs three times in the book of Revelation. The first two times find it used to denote a speaker change. The third would logically do the same.

• Mondo1
    Mondo1

Probably because of John 5:28-29.

• Mondo1
    Mondo1

Technically, it doesn't "mean prayer" but sometimes it is used to express that prayer is being done.

As for the change, I don't know why they changed it there. I haven't looked into it.

• Mondo1
    Mondo1

Thank you for your honesty Mondo1....in that you stated your education is not "special" and have come to your conclusions on your own. What I guess I am getting at is that I find it hard to see how you can speak to others who are equally if not more knowledgeable in their conclusions, and say the derogatory things that you do.

I do not believe I have said anything deorgatory at all. My conclusions are based upon countless hours of research and the consultation numerous scholarly works. So they are not conclusions that I pulled out of thin air... plus some formal study.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit