What would you say is the main reason why people didn't listen to us?

by JH 25 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

When I started going out door to door, I was sure I'd bring a couple of people with me to the Org. I knew my parents believed in God and the bible, so I was sure I'd be able to convince them with a few simple verses that we had the truth. But no, they didn't seem convinced enough to want to study. On the contrary, they started reading the bible on their own and adopted another belief.

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Hi JH,

I was a witness for 26 years, and I never go anyone to come in the Borg. I even auxillery and regular pioneered, and not even my 3 children took to it. I am sooooo glad now, that I never got a convert.

The people didn't want to be controlled, or lose their family by not celebrating holidays, birthdays.. Most, I guess might not have wanted all the study.. service, etc.. But probably the biggest reason might be, that they didn't want to be 'governed'. What do you think?

• JH
    JH
    I am sooooo glad now, that I never got a convert.

Neither did I.

Although I was supposed to produce and bring people to the Org. I didn't feel that it was right to trick someone into becoming a JW.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

What would you say is the main reason why people didn't listen to us?
    Gosh, I don't know. Because we were boring, ignorant and presumptuous? Just guessing.

• Woofer
    Woofer

Seriously . .I must have sounded like a lunatic when I was going from door to door! No wonder I never had any studies (good thing for that as well)

• Moomin
    Moomin

Hi JH, I know what you mean about the bible verses. I used to think I would be able to convince people it was the truth with a few titbits. Once I told my dad the whole story from Eden to Armageddon (obviously with huge chunks missing) absolutley certain that no-one could disregard it if they actually listened. He did listen and then patted me on the head and said "what a lovely story".

Once I was watching an Indiana Jones film with Sean Connery as his dad, I can't remember what its called now. That bit in it when he says that God's name is Jehovah made me all smug and I thought "that'll get em thinking" (I watched it with hubby and bro in law). What a donut.

• Warlock
    Warlock

SATAN AND THE DEMONS BLINDED THEM.

Warlock

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Many people, even ones who have little or no knowledge about JWism, believe that it's a destructive cult. I had a lot of family and friends trying to talk me out of joining the cult for exactly that reason. Unfortunately, the little bit they knew about the JWs wasn't well researched and I just viewed their attempts as "persecution" and joined the cult anyway. That's why I think it's important that we can back up what we say when we try to help a JW or someone who's trying to join them.

W

• StillGroggy
    StillGroggy

Many don't listen because they haven't been "broken" by something bad happening in their life.

You've got to break someone's spirit (or trick them) to get them to sign their life over.

• hambeak
    hambeak

I studied with some and couple became baptized. I remember one young man who was in the navy 2 years older than me at the time. I represented him before the navy board at Mare Island naval shipyard in Vallejo, he was honorably discharged and became very zealous for the org. Years later I saw him in a gay bar in SF df'd and miserable, I wish I knew then what I know now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit