RADICAL ELDERS WHO BROKE THE RULES - we salute you

by dannygwalsh 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• dannygwalsh
    dannygwalsh

its all good fun , isnt it , some people would be who they are in spite of the religion , any other stories out there

• greendawn
    greendawn

I am surprised taht he didn't get thrown out, I knew an anointed who was similarly outspoken but he got away because of his age and the decades of service he gave the dubs.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Most of those elders are now ex elders.

I have known one or two. There is one ex elder that i have had e mail debates with recently, with no successs at all.

The other elders who make up the majority do not want a man who is not a team player and find a pre text to get him off the body eventually.

• dannygwalsh
    dannygwalsh

no, hes still active to my knowledge ,

• mama1119
    mama1119

I know not of one "radical elder" , not one. Just old stiff guys with no personality or tolerance.

• Bam412
    Bam412

We had a racist elder who said from the platform once, that all god's people will inherit the kingdom even wogs! Actually he didn't break the rule - he's still an elder.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Friends,

An example of such an elder is referred to in IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM, by Ray Franz. It is especially meaningful to me as I knew Robert Lang at Bethel and of the situation regarding dangerous stairways, such as where I attended in Manhattan. There was controversy whether a df'd woman could be helped getting the baby carriage (baby on board) up the long and steep stairway. Some elders said NO because, as a df'd person, she should be considered as not even there. Br. Lang said, "I don't know what the rule is on this, I only know one thing: If I'm around when she starts pulling that carriage up the stairs, I'm going to help her! When I think of what could happen if she were to stumble and lose control of the carriage...."

"The most frightening thing about this is that adult men did not feel they could be guided by their own hearts and minds in a circumstance so obviously calling for human kindness. The pressing concern for them was---not the danger to the infant's life---but what the organization policy allowed in such cases. They gave evidence of having become emasculated in matters of ethics, of right and wrong." Franz states in a related footnote that Lang was the kind of person he was, "not because of the organization, but in spite of the organization."

After a df'd friend saved my life, any vacillating notions of "theocratic" procedure I still held to were gone for good.

Yours truly,

CoCo

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I cannot believe that this thread is not more well travelled and participated in. I have known several elders that I thought had great potential as ex-JWs and I am surprised to not be reading about more of them. Even some that are still elders were good men with good hearts. Some real buggers too-but thats another thread!

• zagor
    zagor

An example of such an elder is referred to in IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM, by Ray Franz. It is especially meaningful to me as I knew Robert Lang at Bethel and of the situation regarding dangerous stairways, such as where I attended in Manhattan. There was controversy whether a df'd woman could be helped getting the baby carriage (baby on board) up the long and steep stairway. Some elders said NO because, as a df'd person, she should be considered as not even there. Br. Lang said, "I don't know what the rule is on this, I only know one thing: If I'm around when she starts pulling that carriage up the stairs, I'm going to help her! When I think of what could happen if she were to stumble and lose control of the carriage...."

"The most frightening thing about this is that adult men did not feel they could be guided by their own hearts and minds in a circumstance so obviously calling for human kindness. The pressing concern for them was---not the danger to the infant's life---but what the organization policy allowed in such cases. They gave evidence of having become emasculated in matters of ethics, of right and wrong." Franz states in a related footnote that Lang was the kind of person he was, "not because of the organization, but in spite of the organization."

Thanks for sharing this,

zagor

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Zagor,

So very happy to share this information with my mates in Australia. I forgot to include the page numbers: IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM, pp.404, 405.

Loved the Gold Coast so much but cannot recall---Can outsiders buy only new homes or only previously-loved homes? In any event, the prices were too dear. Would've been great to at least purchase a block, though. Thanx again, Zagor!

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit